Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2019

Started by Trainboy100, February 03, 2018, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerencetheTractor525

Thanks for the blueprints Sparks. That clears up a few things. The flat sides of the CGI red coaches certainly make them seem like they are based off of the carriage #4. However, I still believe that a more noticeable difference is the distance between the windows and the roofs. Specifically, there are no vents between the windows and roofs on the CGI models.

I wonder if it is possible if the Bach-man, Yardmaster, or Inside Track, can let us know if they will be going with two different toolings, or just one for both carriages. I apologize again for lingering this conversation on with many posts, and quite possibly creating headaches for the people of Bachmann. Nevertheless, let's hope for the best since these carriages are the highlight of the 2018 Announcements  :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TrainFan97

I think I predicted Grumpy Diesel nearly a year before he was officially announced.

I'm really sorry I brought it up back then. I didn't think they'd ACTUALLY do it, rather than giving us another character. I only mentioned Diesel's face in one post, and now it looks like my one post has caused such a questionable announcement. Now, people are probably gonna point their fingers at me. It looks like I came up with it...

Again, I'm really sorry I brought up Diesel's face back in April. I didn't know they'd actually do it.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Cheeky_ULP

There's nothing wrong with Grumpy Diesel on an individual level, as anything, he should've had a grumpy face in the first place.

The issue however, is the fact that he was the only engine announced this year, period. It kind of makes sense with Rusty and Paxton still nowhere near out yet. Grumpy Diesel alone however, isn't much of a crowd-pleaser for announcements we get only once a year.

We basically have to wait another year to see if the wait for better things will be worth it (course in the meantime it means I can buy engines like the Hattons P Class and Barclay).

Chaz

Quote from: TrainFan97 on February 20, 2018, 10:34:46 PM
I think I predicted Grumpy Diesel nearly a year before he was officially announced.

I'm really sorry I brought it up back then. I didn't think they'd ACTUALLY do it, rather than giving us another character. I only mentioned Diesel's face in one post, and now it looks like my one post has caused such a questionable announcement. Now, people are probably gonna point their fingers at me. It looks like I came up with it...

Again, I'm really sorry I brought up Diesel's face back in April. I didn't know they'd actually do it.

I really don't think the idea is specifically came from your post so there's no need to take it out on yourself.  If anything, it's just Mattel's way of promoting Diesel a lot more than usual and Bachmann going along with it while Paxton, Rusty, and the large scale Spiteful brake van are still not out yet.

Even announcing Sidney next year really wouldn't do Bachmann any good because that would literally reusing the exact same tooling three years in a row.  At this point, I'd rather they just not bother with Sidney and instead invest in a new tooling for an HO engine (Daisy in particular).  If they can't even do that, then at the very least give the narrow gauge range a lot more of a heavy focus next year or add a new line of four resin buildings and not bother with another Diesel recolor.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

Yeah. Sidney wouldn't do Bachmann any good, especially for 2019. Using the exact same tooling three years in a row isn't very wise. Like you said, Bachmann NEEDS to invest in a new engine tooling, particularly Daisy. I'm good as long as it's a likeable character.

The announcement of Grumpy Diesel did raise questions, but what REALLY made the announcements questionable was the fact that he was literally the only engine announced, and we're getting tankers nobody asked for. The Sodor Diesel Co. Tanker especially made no sense. At least the Water Tanker was actually in the show.

Next year, we should definitely get Troublesome Truck #6. Should be a tanker, ventilated van, or even a utility wagon (mail car). Heck, why can't we get more Troublesome Trucks? Why does it have to be one every three years? Just adding a face would really make rolling stock that sells. Selling much better than lousy recolors that were never in the show...
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TrainCollector

Hey guys I thought of something no one else has thought of for a re-color. Since the CGI switchover, all merchandising involving Spencer has repainted him in that metallic silver color. Bachmann still has Spencer in that blueish gray color from how he looked in seasons 7 and 8. I mean wouldn't it be nice to see Spencer in his current livery? Bachmann wouldn't have to change his face or anything just give him a fresh coat of metallic silver paint. This is something everyone has over looked. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a metallic silver Spencer for 2019 if Bachmann had to do another re-color. I mean it's better than grumpy diesel. Think about it. I'm sure Mattel would definitely want Bachmann to give this change for Spencer. This is an update long overdue.

TrainCollector

So here's what I think we should see for 2019. Given we've been getting some re colors I thought I would add something from an earlier post.

HO Scale
Silver Spencer (with moving eyes)
Stanley (with moving eyes)
James' Brake Coach
James' Composite Coach
Troublesome Truck 6

Narrow Gauge
Sir Handle

Large Scale
Troublesome Truck 3

This is what I am hoping for 2019. Maybe as you guys are saying Bachmann could be planning something big. Who knows.

TrainFan97

Silver Spencer is an interesting idea for a recolor. Since we're getting Grumpy Diesel, giving Spencer a CGI face is also possible.

Spencer is a big engine, and the most expensive Thomas model in HO Scale, but I do remember seeing him on the bestsellers list prior to Oliver's release. An updated model of Spencer with a metallic silver paint scheme would be much better received than Grumpy Diesel. Maybe even give Spencer a CGI face. Don't know if they'd give him a faster motor though.

Silver Spencer would be a recolor, but unlike Sidney, he's not another Class 08.

MoarCrossovers

I suppose my input would be somewhat desired.

HO Scale
Daisy (with moving eyes)
Express Composite Coach
Express Brake Coach
Tar Wagon
Henrietta (CGI)
Hannah

HOn30
Duncan
Coal Wagon
Red Brake Van
Blue Brake Van
Do u kno de Grate Westarn Wae?

TrainFan97

My dread list (the opposite of a wishlist):

Charlie
Philip
Nia
Rebecca

What I listed above are models I DON'T want.

If we get another recolor, what's your favorite idea?:

Sidney (another Class 08, but he's a separate character)
LBSC Thomas
Black James
Silver Spencer

For new toolings, I'd be happy with any of these engines:

Daisy (top demand)
Ryan
Stanley
Porter
Norman (long shot)
BoCo (long shot)

Don't know how they'd get Diesel 10's claw to work without breeching the NMRA standards.

TerencetheTractor525

Considering that Chaz already posted his scrupulous thoughts on the narrow gauge brake vans, I thought that now would be a good time for me to share my thoughts on the locomotive that I think that should enter the HO range next: Daisy the Diesel Railcar.

So, why should Daisy be introduced to the HO range? For starters, the demand for her is remarkable. Nearly every single Bachmann Thomas collector has stated that they would like to see Daisy in the range, not only through the Bachmann Forum, but through other branches of social media as well.

The next reason has to do with Daisy's role in the television series. To begin, when it was stated that Daisy would be returning in Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure, fans were ecstatic simply because Daisy is an unforgettable classic character due to her sassy personality and significant role of working on the Ffarquhar Branch Line along with Thomas, Percy, and Toby. Daisy is also the only locomotive that Bachmann has not made who's name is present in the Original Thomas Anthem (as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_VG5i27tKM)

But more importantly, fans both old and young are familiar with Daisy today as she has played large roles in some of the most recent episodes such as "Springtime for Diesel" and "A Most Singular Engine". These episodes even consisted of Daisy and Diesel as the main characters. As a result, with the newly announced Grumpy Diesel, fans would be able to recreate the interactions between Daisy and Diesel that took place throughout the episodes if Daisy were to get announced.

However, the number one reason as to why I think Daisy should enter the HO range is that there is currently no locomotive in the range that is like her. To elaborate, Daisy would be the first long bogied diesel in the range. What's more, her tooling would certainly not cost as much as a steam engine such as Ryan or Hiro since her overall shape is a rectangular box more or less, and the model would barely consist of any metal. Additionally, seeing that Grumpy Diesel is already listed on the Bachmann website, the announcement of Daisy for 2019 seems very feasible.

Overall, 2019 would definitely be the best time to announce Daisy due to her popularity and current presence in the Thomas television series. Now, what do you guys think? Would you buy an HO Daisy? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

While there was a lot of demand for Daisy, I really appreciate how you went out of your way and explained in-depth reasons with why Daisy should be made.

While I was a little cynical about her getting announced, (and to some extent I still am), I'm not going to deny that out of all the possible candidates for a standard gauge engine in HO, Daisy is the best candidate.  I feel that especially now with all the recent negative news from Bachmann, Daisy getting announced would really restore the faith that fans need in the HO range.  Regardless of tooling or price risk that would go into the model, the sales for Daisy would be over the roof because she's a nostalgic character.  Duck and Oliver are a prime example of this as they are still best-selling models even to this day.

While Rosie, Grumpy Diesel, and possibly Paxton (at least based on how he looks so far), are not going to really help boost Bachmann's sales anytime soon I feel like Daisy would meet and exceed all expectations from both fans as well as Bachmann themselves.

TrainFan97

With Grumpy Diesel's image already posted, Daisy is definitely possible for 2019. If Daisy gets announced for real, she will restore people's faith in Bachmann. Since this year's announcements did raise questions, Bachmann should hopefully learn from all the negative feedback, and make the 2019 announcements good. Until then, it will be a long 12 months.

As for Nia, Bachmann doesn't usually make new characters right away. The new show doesn't even air until late in the year.

Chaz

Well seeing as it has been over a week since the announcements, I would like to get my thoughts on the other addition I want the most as soon as possible, I figured I would get started with my suggestion for the next engine in narrow gauge which is Peter Sam!

To start things off, why should Bachmann do Peter Sam next?  This is because, out of all the narrow gauge engines left, Peter Sam has the best sales coming his way. Aesthetically, he easily has one of the best renders in the show and that is because of his close resemblance to his basis.  This is an area where he and even Sir Handel would be popular sellers from both fans as well OO9 modelers.  However, because Sir Haydn (Sir Handel's basis), is still in overhaul I feel that Bachmann's best bet would be to get Peter Sam finished first and then look into finding accurate measurements of Sir Haydn to make Sir Handel once the overhaul is completed.

Even in a contest of those two, or even with Duncan thrown in the
picture, Peter Sam would easily be the better seller due to his funnel as it allows modelers to get creative and buy another Peter Sam and make a custom original funnel to replace the giesl on their spare model, allowing them to have two accurate models of his render with the giesl and with the original funnel.

Now on a marketing perspective, Peter Sam offers a nice color contrast compared to all the previous engines in the range.  This is another reason why I would put Peter Sam over Duncan because having a yellow engine right after a red engine (Skarloey), Vermilion (Rheneas), and orange (Rusty), Duncan's yellow livery wouldn't really make the range nearly as appealing as Peter Sam's nice green livery would.

In terms of usage on the show, Peter Sam, along with interestingly enough the other three engines Bachmann announced, has had the most consistent track record out of all the narrow gauge engines for making appearances regularly on the show.  Starting from his introduction at season 4, he has ranged from making a few appearances and starring roles in every season (with the exception of Rusty in season 20), that featured the narrow gauge engines since then.  He is also one of the few narrow gauge engines to have a lead role in a CGI episode thus making him all the more recognizable to both the older and younger generation of Thomas fans.

Overall, while I was disappointed that there was no new narrow gauge engine in this years announcements, I feel like Peter Sam (as well as some brake vans) would make a really solid lineup of announcements next year for the narrow gauge range.  He's got great sales potential, the right design, and the right amount of appeal which is why I think he would be the perfect choice for next years narrow gauge engine.

As usual here are questions for fans:

• Would you buy a Bachmann Peter Sam?
  • Do you think he should be made next or should a different narrow gauge engine come before him?
  • Can you also see his sales doing as well as Skarloey and Rheneas?

I'll get to my thoughts on why the resin line should make a comeback
sometime in the next month or so, but in the meantime let me know what you think.

JD417

Quote from: Chaz on February 26, 2018, 10:55:12 PM

• Would you buy a Bachmann Peter Sam?
  • Do you think he should be made next or should a different narrow gauge engine come before him?
  • Can you also see his sales doing as well as Skarloey and Rheneas?

Yes, no questions.
    Either Pepper Sam or Sir Handel
    Definitely, due to his class not being a one of one type of deal, as there have been several Tattoo fellas