Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2019

Started by Trainboy100, February 03, 2018, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodimus Supreme

As to this question of who I'd want despite limitations or such, I'd obviously want Daisy and/or Stepney for Standard Gauge and Peter Sam and/or Sir Handel for Narrow Gauge. But I'd like to throw some odd ball answers in there, since we're ignoring any limitations and such:

Standard Gauge:
Boco. He's a classic, if Bachmann were to just say "Heck with it, we're making Boco", then he'd 100% be classic model series based, and I wouldn't have to make one myself if they release him.  :D

The Flying Scotsman. I feel like he's such a popular character in general, and in real life, that he'd sell pretty dang well. I'm not too worried about whether he's Railway Series accurate or CGI Series accurate. I would mention the Model Series, but that would just be his tenders. Actually, I probably wouldn't want them to base anything off of his tender's Model Series appearance, as they messed up and accidentally gave him two coal tenders. I know the look he has in the show currently isn't accurate to any particular look The Flying Scotsman has had, all because of him having both double tenders and smoke deflectors at once, but i think he still looks pretty good in the CGI Series.

Narrow Gauge:
Smudger. He's a simple recolor of Rheneas, and I'd like to have a Smudger doing odd jobs around a layout, if I had one. Also, my favorite color is green, so that helps. :D

Fearless Freddie. He's got an interesting looking basis, might be used by non-Thomas collectors and modellers to modify into his basis, and he'd just look great running around a layout pulling extra trains, or even used as a shunter around a yard or perhaps another Sodor location (perhaps that Wharf from the late Model Series that has both Standard Gauge and Narrow Gauge tracks).

TrainCollector

I haven't commented in almost a year. Here's what I want to see in 2019.

HO Scale:

BoCo: definitely a long shot but I just thought I'd put him out there. BoCo is one of my personal favorites. I would love to see BoCo in HO scale because of his size and ability to pull heavy goods trains.

Flying Scotsman: a bit of a long shot but I think he'd be a good character. Yeah his tv series counterpart may not be accurate but I think he'd sell very well and Bachmann would make tons of profit off of this model.

James' express coach and brake coach: highly likely we will see these come out next year if these are announced I will not be suprised.

Troublesome Truck #6: same as above very likely to be announced.

Narrow Gauge:

Sir Handle: my friend Jack goes on and on about Sir Handle not being made. I really hope we get Sir Handle just because he's a popular character and he along with Peter Sam are in high demand.

Well that's my list hope I get a response.

Streak

Good lists you two. Really good choices. BoCo, while a long shot, would be pretty cool in Bachmann. While I'm not a big fan of BoCo as a character (I've warmed up to him overtime), a model of him would look very nice and he is one of the few OG classic characters yet to get in. Although I think Daisy and Stepney have a better chance in 2019, BoCo would be cool further down the line. Especially if he gets into CGI sometime soon.

Flying Scotsman would be a great model for Bachmann to make. I know many people don't like Scotsman's CGI design but I like the fact that it's a combination of both his major designs. That's why he's got smoke deflectors AND two tenders at the same time.While historically inaccurate, it's a-OK in my book. The only hurdle I see is that Flying Scotsman is so big and long. With two tenders he might be more expensive than a possible Bachmann Daisy, BoCo, Hiro, or Rebecca. He is relevant enough to warrant the expense but it's a tough call to make.

James' Express Coaches would be good to see come back as well as getting a Troublesome Truck 6. Although I have to ask... What do you want T. Truck 6 to be? A tanker? A goods van?

Smudger and Freddie are strange choices indeed but they would be cool. Freddie would have a unique color and basis. Since I doubt Bachmann would ever make Ivo Hugh for the HOn30 range, Freddie is top candidate for Skarloey Railway's #7. (I'd actually like to see Freddie come back in CGI some day, not before Duke of course). I find it funny that Rheneas has two possible recolors they could do for him: Smudger and Yellow Rheneas. Smudger would be much better though. I have a feeling that if the HOn30 range ever gets to the point where they've run out of characters with original basis to do, they would do recolor characters like Smudger, Bertram, and Proteus.

Finally, Sir Handel. According to this board, Sir Handel and Peter Sam are the most wanted and most likely narrow gauge engines. However, with Sir Haydn being overhauled and his blueprints unavailable, Peter Sam is the more likely of the two. I would really Sir Handel to be made though.

Kemptown Branch

Would anyone want Bachmann to release separate HOn30 couplings as an accessory? I have heard that the Peco wagons have more of an uncoupling problem than the Bachmann wagons, and, looking at the couplings, the pin that the loop goes around is more pronounced on the Bachmann couplings than the Peco couplings. I was thinking that that might be why, and, since all of the rolling stock released so far has NEM couplings, people would be able to replace the Peco couplings with the Bachmann ones. What do you guys think?
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Streak on October 12, 2018, 10:20:50 AMHowever, with Sir Haydn being overhauled and his blueprints unavailable, Peter Sam is the more likely of the two.
I'm pretty sure Sir Haydn's rebuild has been completed, right?

shining time

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on October 12, 2018, 08:32:02 PM
Quote from: Streak on October 12, 2018, 10:20:50 AMHowever, with Sir Haydn being overhauled and his blueprints unavailable, Peter Sam is the more likely of the two.
I'm pretty sure Sir Haydn's rebuild has been completed, right?
Yes his rebuild was finished back in April/May of this year as i followed some of the progress via twitter
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

Kemptown Branch

I wouldn't mind Sir Handel before Peter Sam, but either way, I would buy whoever the next model is.
On another note, I wouldn't mind Bachmann making more resin buildings if they included more narrow gauge buildings. My picks would be the double engine shed and Neptune Refreshments.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Streak

Quote from: shining time on October 18, 2018, 09:50:06 AM
Yes his rebuild was finished back in April/May of this year as i followed some of the progress via twitter
Oh really?  :o I didn't hear about that. They could totally make Sir Handel now. But many people on this forum want Peter Sam first. Idk. Which ever one Bachmann chooses will be a welcome addition to the range. As long as it's either one of them and not Duncan.

Streak

Seeing the new Large Scale tankers on display today has really got me thinking about the concept of rolling stock recolors. While I'd like more unique trucks in the future like flatbeds, the "Henry's Forest" plant trucks, ladle trucks, or even Jerome and Judy. I genuinely really like a lot of the rolling stock recolors that Bachmann makes every year. Personally I'd really like the Toffee, Chocolate Syrup, and Jam Tankers made as well as maybe some Chocolate Factory/Circus Vans and a Brown Mail Van.

What do you guys think?

Angelob6660

I'm looking forward if they make a brown mail van and box vans.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

I'm surprised no one else brought up the possibility of the toffee tanker and chocolate syrup tanker being made in HO, but at this point I think it is almost a given.  

I think the only range that will get any new rolling stock toolings would be the narrow gauge range which I expect to either be brake vans or tippers.  The best I can see happening rolling stock wise for the other two ranges would be Troublesome Truck #6 (with a classic design) for HO and the red coaches in large scale.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Streak

Quote from: Chaz on October 20, 2018, 03:40:14 PM
I'm surprised no one else brought up the possibility of the toffee tanker and chocolate syrup tanker being made in HO, but at this point I think it is almost a given.  

I think the only range that will get any new rolling stock toolings would be the narrow gauge range which I expect to either be brake vans or tippers.  The best I can see happening rolling stock wise for the other two ranges would be Troublesome Truck #6 (with a classic design) for HO and the red coaches in large scale.  

I think there is a possibility we may get new HO Scale rolling stock toolings eventually. I think there's still untapped potential there that Bachmann shouldn't sleep on. I would even be fine with different types of brake vans (particularly the orange one that shares Bradford's basis.) Any more rolling stock characters like Bradford, Henrietta (with a face), Old Slow Coach, Dexter, Hannah, Jerome & Judy, or maybe even Skiff the Railboat would be an instant buy from me.

The thing I love about the LS Toffee Tanker is how they didn't try to give it any unnessesary logos and such. It's completely accurate to the "Sticky Toffee Thomas" episode, all the way down to the black cap painted on top. The Toffee Tanker is something that you could just by 4 or 5 of and use them as generic tankers. That's what I love about it and why the Jam Tankers would be so cool for them to make. Even the Chocolate Syrup Tanker is cool. They removed the unrealistic green from the original Trackmaster model, making it look actually presentable. These tankers and the Lobster Refridgerator Van makes me hopeful that Bachmann will make more rolling stock like it (please make the Dieselworks Fuel Tanker from the Trackmaster line, Bachmann). Anxiously waiting for a possible release of the Toffee Tanker, CS Tanker, and that Large Scale Explosion Box Van from 2016 in HO Scale.

Chaz

Funnily enough, Bradford and the orange CG brake van's basis is already made in Bachmann's branchline range so I could definitely see them using that, given that they used a branchline tooling for Toad.  

I could possibly see Hannah happening in large scale (and eventually HO) and that would only depend if Henrietta is also made in large scale and if Bachmann is willing to invest in an entirely new tooling for that range.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Streak

Interesting. I forgot that they used a Branchline range brake van for Toad. That brake van in that picture would be perfect. I'd imagine they'd make the orange CG one first (under the name Brake Van or Brake Van - Orange) and then they could release Bradford alongside an HO Samson (which I actually wouldn't be apposed to. Samson's a good character. ;))

Hannah would be cool. I'd hope they'd revamp Henrietta with a face if they decided to make Hannah. If there's any new RS toolings for Large Scale I can see, it's Henrietta/Hannah, Red Branchline Coaches, and maybe the Mail Van.

Dexter would be cool in my opinion. "School of Duck" was one of the best episodes from S22 and Dexter was a cute little coach. They could simply reuse the Red Brake Coach but with a face. Million dollar question though. Would he stay red or would they paint him in his school colors like at the end of the episode (but with wheels)?

Old Slow Coach and especially Jerome and Judy would be on the expensive side but I think they're possible... maybe. I don't think they'll ever make Rocky. He'd just be too big. And I don't think they'll ever make Fred Pelhay and Rickety after canceling them before.

Skiff's also an oddball pick... but he's just so cute, I really want him. He'd be great with Duck, Oliver, and possibly Ryan if he's made.

Anyways, any rolling stock character would be pretty cool, I think 2019 will probably have Toffee & CS Tankers, rerelease of flatbed, T Truck #6 (classic van, tanker, or blue open wagon), and maybe hopefully red express, brown mail van, or Henrietta w/ face. That's my baseline prediction until someone brings up another possible pick.

Streak

After seeing the TCA Fall Show video and since the 2019 announcements are almost 4 months away, I've decided to give my concrete predictions for what I think will be revealed/released next year. My last posts on HO and HOn30 ranges were mainly just bringing up possible projects for Bachmann to make in the future, but this is what I think legitimately has a chance next year. These predictions of mine will be my permanent picks until an new idea comes around during the next four months that I think is possible. With that being said, here's my "final" list.

HO Scale:

Stepney/Daisy- Bachmann need a high selling engine in the Thomas line this year. Stepney and Daisy are not only the most wanted on the forums, but being classic characters they'll sell very well (just as well say Duck and Oliver). I'm pretty sure it'll be one or the other. Could both happen? Yes. Do I think it's likely? Not really so I'll stick with just one of them.

Red Rosie- Let me explain. In 2015, after a rather small year of Class 08 recolor twins, we got two HO Scale engines: Oliver and Celebration Thomas. Now one was a completely unique character while the other was a reskin. I think 2019 might have the same thing. Many people want Rosie in her new livery and it would be an easy thing for them to release alongside Stepney or Daisy. It would be a nice engine to tide us over for 2019 until Stepney/Daisy's release in 2020 (I'd assume Rosie would be released 2019, judging by Celebration Thomas and Grumpy Diesel's releases).

Henrietta w/ Face- I'm going on a limb here. I think this is the year HO scale Henrietta will finally get a face. They could also release Hannah as a recolor too but I think Bachmann would focus on other recolors like...

Toffee/CS/Jam/Dieselworks Fuel Tankers- Now I don't think all four of these will be announced, I just think either of these are possible. I think Toffee and Chocolate Syrup Tankers are most likely and I wouldn't mind. But seeing as they made that Sodor Diesel Co. Tanker in only HO Scale, I think it's possible for them to make the Jam Tanker or the Dieselworks Fuel Tanker as a little unexpected surprise.

Flatbed (w/ New Load)/Red Express Coaches- Like the tankers and Stepney/Daisy, I think it's one or the other with these two pieces. Everyone on the forums have been wanting the flatbed to come back with a new load (don't ask me what it will be), but the red express coaches have just as much chance coming back in my opinion. Since I don't see both happening, it's another either/or situation.

Brown Mail Car- This would be an easy recolor that would sell pretty well. While the Green Mail Car didn't sell well, the Live Lobster Refrigerator Car did better so Bachmann might consider making this.

Troublesome Truck #6- There are three different designs I could see for this. A Ventilated Van (either classic or CGI design), a tanker (probably CGI but either oil or logo-less), and finally, a controversial option, a blue open wagon (basically the same as Troublesome Truck #4 but blue and with a different face).

That's it for HO Scale. I don't think all of these will happen (Henrietta is the least likely out of all of these) but these are the picks I have the most confidence in. Now on to...

HOn30:

Peter Sam/Sir Handel- Again, it's a 50/50 with these two. It could go either way. They're the two likeliest picks out of any other Narrow Gauge engine.

Brake Vans (Red, Blue, and Brown)- These seem the most likely rolling stock for the NG line. This will most likely be another slate trucks situation where there are just three of them, but these will all be different colors. Red and Blue for passenger trains and Brown for goods trains.

Welp, that was easy. That's probably because there isn't much you can do with this line. Part of me wants to predict the Refreshment Lady's Stand Coach from S7 to go along with Peter Sam but I don't think it's likely. Anyways, time for...

Resin Buildings:

Toby's Shed- Classic locale. Works with existing products like Toby and Henrietta. Also if they make Stepney, you could also use it as Stepney's Shed from Stepney Gets Lost. Double usage.

Ffarquhar/Dryaw Station- I think a station is pretty likely but both are equally possible. If I had to choose, I'd think Ffarquhar has a better chance but Dryaw is also pretty likely.

Farmer McColl's Barn- Decent sized building from a prominent and recognizable Sodor location. What more is there to say.

Neptune's Refreshments- This would be a small building that they could easily make and would go well with Peter Sam. It is a little obscure but I see so many people talking about it so I'd say it has a good chance.

I have a gut feeling that there will be new resin buildings next year. I can feel it in my bones. Finally, here are the predictions I'm pretty sure are the least likely to happen...

Large Scale:

Diesel/Rosie/Edward- I don't even know. Diesel got canceled but I have a feeling that they could bring him back from the dead, Rosie is a small easy character that would co-enside with an HO Scale Red Rosie, and Edward (while a tender engine) isn't too big and would sell just as well as Thomas, James, Emily, Percy, and Toby, seeing as he was a main character. ;)

Henrietta (and maybe Hannah)- Again, possible but who knows? I'm gonna take a chance and say she'll finally be made. I know that she'd sell well.

Red Branch Line Coaches- These are also a risky pick. I think these would be a good investment in Large Scale seeing how well they did in HO Scale. Plus, it would give Percy, James, and possibly Edward something to pull.

Troublesome Truck #3- This is more likely than you might think. Just slap a face on the existing Ventilated Van or Tanker models and boom easy Troublesome Truck.

Jam/Dieselworks Fuel Tanker- If HO Scale were to do these, I'd have no doubt they'd probably be made in Large Scale. Who knows? They may make them in Large Scale and not HO. (Also the dieselworks one would look good with Diesel)

"Mr. Percival" figure- This is my least likely pick out of everything on this whole list. The only argument I have for this guy is... well. We have narrow gauge engines. Why not the narrow gauge controller.

And with that, this list is done. The Large Scale section is the one I have the least confidence in. Large Scale is so unpredictable (and is on the verge of death I'm sorry to say). The other sections I have much more confidence in. I think that a lot of this stuff is possible. There are things I couldn't fit in here like Trevor and the Orange Brake Van (and Stanley ;D), but I think this is a satisfactory list. What do you all think? This has been a very long post so let me just cut it off here. Peace.