Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2019

Started by Trainboy100, February 03, 2018, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metal4life

Stuart & Falcon/Peter Sam & Sir Handel variants of their respective models would probably be one of those things the higher-ups would address in way like, "Well, that's the beauty of the hobby- if you want it bad enough, you make it yourself."

Could they do it? Absolutely.
Is it probable that they will? Not much at all.

Though it would be pretty cool if Bachmann put a little more thought into producing a variety of face plates with different expressions for the existing and future range. Perhaps they were gauging the market with grumpy Diesel?

douglas

for the NG range–just model Peter Sam and Sir Handel after their current TV appearances. no alternate nameplates, alternate funnel for Peter Sam, nothing fancy. they're the next logical step, throw in some red or blue/cream coaches and a brake van and you have all the bases covered for both character selection and rolling stock selection.

Chaz

Well seeing as how we are in the new year, I figured I would share some quick thoughts before the Toy Fair.  I'll admit I am not having my hopes up too high this year, but there have been times that after a bad lineup of announcements Bachmann usually turns things around the following year or two later.  So here's hoping this is the year that does so.

My thoughts on everything but buildings have remained consistent, apart from buildings which I will get to in a minute.  Peter Sam is the one thing I want the most next year.  Narrow gauge brake vans are welcome too, but I prefer them to be announced alongside Peter Sam.  I can't say I'm expecting much out of HO and especially large scale, but maybe this year things will be different like maybe a new engine tooling for HO like Stepney or Daisy, or a new troublesome truck, or the red coaches in large scale.  Either way, we have had diamonds in the rough in the past like the Spiteful brake van in the HO announcements last year so maybe something as simple as a troublesome tanker from Toad Stands By would really win over a lot of fans.

As for buildings, it's obvious that the demand for resin buildings has really gone up, and it would be a shame if there were no new buildings for four years in a row now.  However, do they have to necessarily be resin?  Part of me thinks that maybe Bachmann can invest in kits or new plastic buildings that at the very least can be improvements over the plasticville recolors or the knapford and tidmouth sheds kits respectively.  It would not only be a much cheaper alternative but it may also allow for some more creativity from Thomas fans in the process.  So even if the buildings aren't necessarily made of resin, I can't say I would be disappointed if at the very least we got a nice alternative.

Not much more to discuss at that point until if and only if the new range gets announced.  Here's hoping 2019 is a good year for Bachmann.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TerencetheTractor525

Peter Sam is definitely the thing I want announced this year the most as well. With all of the discussion that has been happening on a new narrow gauge loco, I'm sure that it is one of Bachmann's top priorities as far as new products with new toolings are concerned.

Nice to see buildings brought back into discussion again too. Plastic kits were actually brought up in a different thread: https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,35209.0.html

Interestingly enough, resin seems to be the cheaper alternative based on what Yardmaster stated, and I would still prefer resin if I had the choice. Also, if I could pick two buildings to get announced for this year, it would be a narrow gauge engine shed (hopefully two stalls) and Neptune Refreshments as they are both small buildings that would go wonderfully with Peter Sam and the rest of the narrow gauge range altogether.

All in all, I too am not expecting much for this year, but will remain optimistic nonetheless.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Kemptown Branch

I want either Peter Sam, or Sir Handel, or both, since Sir Haydn is out of overhaul now (though I would prefer Sir Handel, Peter Sam does seem to have more demand). I also would want the Brake Vans in all colors (if possible). For regular HO, either skip an engine or make Stepney, Troublesome Truck 6, and bring back the Flatbed with Paint Drums. For Large Scale, the Red Coaches would be nice.

I think the Resin Buildings should be brought back as well, and I have no real suggestions, so the ones TerencetheTractor525 suggested would be nice.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

TrainFan97

The 2019 announcements are now only one month and a half away. What I've learned after last year is not to get my hopes too high. I had my hopes high, and the 2018 announcements were disappointing, with the HO Spiteful Brake Van being one of the only good things.

Here's what I'd expect next month:

HO Scale:

Sidney, preferably Stepney or Daisy (if a new tooling is possible)
Troublesome Truck #6 (please be a tanker)
Explosives Van
Red Express Coaches (returning from discontinuation)

Narrow Gauge:
Peter Sam

Large Scale:
Red Coaches
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Streak

Since the 2019 announcements are so close and since everyone seems to be doing it, I'll place my predictions for 2019 down here.

HO Scale:

Stepney or Daisy (one or the other)
Red Rosie
Troublesome Truck #6 (Tanker or Van)
Toffee and Chocolate Sryup Tankers
Brown Mail Van
Henrietta w/ Face (hopefully)

HOn30 Scale:

Peter Sam
Narrow Gauge Brakevans (Blue, Red, and Brown)

Resin Buildings:

Don't know what they'll do, I just think they may announce some. Maybe Neptune's Refreshments?

Large Scale:

Diesel or Rosie (hopefully, fingers crossed)
Red Coaches
Henrietta (also hopefully)

Chaz

Forgot to comment on Red Rosie.  Yeah, that's probably what I imagine we would get as another cop-out announcement if they don't announce a new character in HO this year like Grumpy Diesel.  I feel like even Bachmann would likely be a -little- self-aware at this point not to announce Sidney knowing that they would give us 3 different models with the Diesel tooling in a row.

One other important thing I did want to mention while discussing with a friend earlier is whether it would be plastic or resin (though resin is preferable) I think a new coal hopper would be a good idea.  Especially with there being two water towers after the plasticville one got discontinued, it wouldn't be a bad idea to include a new coal hopper in return.

So if we do get resin buildings then I would be all for a coal hopper, Neptune's Refreshments, Toby's shed and a narrow gauge shed.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

If we have to get another engine recolor in HO Scale for budget reasons, then instead of Sidney, Bachmann could announce Red Rosie, Green Thomas (LBSC), or Black James, as those recolors would probably sell well.

For new toolings in HO Scale, Stepney and Daisy are definitely the most popular requests. Stepney is a small tank engine with a unique livery, and Daisy would be the first bogied diesel in the range. They're both classic characters, and Bachmann knows nostalgia sells. Popular demand gave us Oliver. Let's hope the 2019 announcements deliver, one month from now.

The most requested HO rolling stock is definitely a Troublesome Tanker (Troublesome Truck #6), and we desperately need one. Even though troublesome tankers are in the CGI series, they would sell even better if they're based on the classic series design from Toad Stands By, since all of Bachmann's previous Troublesome Trucks are based on the classic series. Bachmann has a pattern of announcing a Troublesome Truck every three years, and Troublesome Truck #5 was announced in 2016, so it's been three years. This should be the year of Troublesome Truck #6. I wouldn't mind it being a Ventilated Van either. We really don't need another open wagon, unless it's a Season 1 Troublesome Truck.

Speaking of Ventilated Van, it would be nice to get the Explosives Van in HO Scale.

Regarding Narrow Gauge, Peter Sam or Sir Handel definitely must get announced this year. Rusty ended up being based on his CGI render, but his render is nowhere near as bad as Duncan's. There's also a possibility of Peter Sam or Sir Handel being based on their CGI renders, but their renders are actually great.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: TrainFan97 on January 08, 2019, 02:41:06 PM
If we have to get another engine recolor in HO Scale for budget reasons, then instead of Sidney, Bachmann could announce Red Rosie, Green Thomas (LBSC), or Black James, as those recolors would probably sell well.

For new toolings in HO Scale, Stepney and Daisy are definitely the most popular requests. Stepney is a small tank engine with a unique livery, and Daisy would be the first bogied diesel in the range. They're both classic characters, and Bachmann knows nostalgia sells. Popular demand gave us Oliver. Let's hope the 2019 announcements deliver, one month from now.

The most requested HO rolling stock is definitely a Troublesome Tanker (Troublesome Truck #6), and we desperately need one. Even though troublesome tankers are in the CGI series, they would sell even better if they're based on the classic series design from Toad Stands By, since all of Bachmann's previous Troublesome Trucks are based on the classic series. Bachmann has a pattern of announcing a Troublesome Truck every three years, and Troublesome Truck #5 was announced in 2016, so it's been three years. This should be the year of Troublesome Truck #6. I wouldn't mind it being a Ventilated Van either. We really don't need another open wagon, unless it's a Season 1 Troublesome Truck.

Speaking of Ventilated Van, it would be nice to get the Explosives Van in HO Scale.

Regarding Narrow Gauge, Peter Sam or Sir Handel definitely must get announced this year. Rusty ended up being based on his CGI render, but his render is nowhere near as bad as Duncan's. There's also a possibility of Peter Sam or Sir Handel being based on their CGI renders, but their renders are actually great.
Considering Skarloey and Rheneas are both based on their CGI renders, I'm positive Peter Sam and Sir Handel both will be based on their CGI models.

Also, with all this talk about Troublesome Trucks, does anyone else kinda want to see Bachmann do Hector at some point?

TrainFan97

The problem with Hector is that he would require a new tooling. Not only that, but he could also be too tall.

Bachmann made S.C. Ruffey and the Spiteful Brake Van because they had the toolings for them.

Streak

In terms of HO Scale Engines, if Daisy gets picked I'm certain it would be just her but if they chose to make/announce Stepney, I think there's a strong chance they'd announce a recolor like Red Rosie alongside him (with the recolor coming out in the spring/summer and Stepney coming out either end of the year or early next year)

In 2015, we got both Oliver and Celebration Thomas announced that year so they could do something like that again this year. If they do make Red Rosie, I just hope that Bachmann gives her rivets (maybe painted on at least) or at least her headlamp.

TrainFan97

The Great Western Van, and the Fruit and Vegetable Van were first made in Large Scale, but later released in HO Scale. The Explosives Van, however, is still exclusive to Large Scale. Will the Explosives Van finally make its way into HO Scale? Hopefully, this will be the year. The HO rolling stock I want the most is the Explosives Van, and a tanker for Troublesome Truck #6. Neither of which require new toolings, with just the tanker getting a face on it. If Troublesome Truck #6 ends up being a ventilated van, that would also be okay. #1 and #2 were open wagons, #3 was a cattle wagon, #4 was a recolor of the discontinued 6-ton wagon, and #5 was a salt wagon.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: TrainFan97 on January 08, 2019, 08:03:34 PM
The problem with Hector is that he would require a new tooling. Not only that, but he could also be too tall.

Bachmann made S.C. Ruffey and the Spiteful Brake Van because they had the toolings for them.
I would think so too about the tooling, if it wasn't already totally possible for Bachmann to recolor the tooling into the Hopper Wagons.

Streak

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on January 09, 2019, 11:11:12 PM
I would think so too about the tooling, if it wasn't already totally possible for Bachmann to recolor the tooling into the Hopper Wagons.

Aren't the normal hoppers from the show much smaller than Hector? There's no other truck like Hector if I remember correctly. I don't think he's too tall to be made though. He is tall but not too tall. Granted I don't know if they'd go all out for Hector sadly. I think the only rolling stock characters I can see them making brand new toolings for are Old Slow Coach and maybe the Slip Coaches. Characters like Hannah, Bradford, and Dexter can also be made using existing toolings.