Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2019

Started by Trainboy100, February 03, 2018, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

If we can't get Stepney or Daisy, I'd be okay getting Red Rosie, Green Thomas, or Black James in HO Scale, since the budget for a new tooling hasn't been very easy for Bachmann. As for Sidney, I don't hate him as a character, and I'd like him to be made eventually, but not this year, since we'd have a Class 08 announced on three consecutive years, which many people don't want to happen.

Regarding HO rolling stock, my most realistic wants are Troublesome Truck #6 being a tanker or ventilated van, and the Explosives Van, which still remains exclusive to Large Scale, unlike the Great Western and Fruit and Vegetable vans, which actually got HO Scale releases. The Explosives Van still hasn't been announced for HO Scale. Will this be the year? We'll find out next month.

It really is best not to expect too much from Bachmann, or you'd set yourself up for disappointment. That's exactly what happened last year when the announcements weren't what we expected. Bachmann Thomas announcements are only made once a year. Once they're posted, that's all until next year. Production costs, and the prices will only continue to rise, and there's nothing we can do about it.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Cheeky_ULP

Maybe Bachmann would have more room for toolings of engines people would actually buy, like Stepney or Daisy, if they don't put any more resources into things like Chuggington... I think an HO -and- an O scale line is quite enough, and I think the sales of each range are testament to that.

They could announce a flatbed with a pile of dust as a load for all I care as long as we get Stepney or Daisy with it, in all honesty.

And if they're gonna make more OO9 engines as a PR recently said, then by all means, please, do Sir Handel and Peter Sam.

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: Plow Bender on January 14, 2019, 01:19:52 AM
Resin Buildings:

I think resin buildings not only have a demand, but they would be far cheaper to produce than engines and comparable in price to rolling stock.  However, this doesn't apply to structures similar to Maithwaite Station or Brendam Warehouse.  What Bachmann should focus on are smaller structures like the Storage Shed.  I'm thinking more along the lines of structures such as the Narrow Gauge Engine Shed or the Ruined Castle.  One structure that sticks in mind and that I would kill to see, is the Workman's Cottage from the episode Bulldog.  Don't ask me why, but this is by far one of the most unique little structures and somewhat cute.  Wouldn't mind purchasing this little piece of real-estate for myself.  Another thing that should be noted is that resin buildings aimed towards Narrow Gauge could potentially have an increased number of sales compared to something like a Signal Gantry.  From a realistic standpoint, smaller structures seem wayyyyyyy more probable than something like the Steamworks or the Sodor Shipping Company.

I concur with everything stated by Plow Bender regarding what Bachmann should announce in 2019, but his resin building ideas stand out in my opinion. It definitely makes sense the continue the line with buildings that are narrow gauge themed as they are smaller and would sell better than bigger buildings like Brendam Warehouse. There are not many ruined castles and narrow gauge engine sheds out in the market after all. And I completely agree that Workman's Cottage is one of the most unique and cute structures. It speaks to the charm of the classic model series. Nothing more to add than that  :).

Here's a link to the episode for anyone who is curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD3wTvwS_HQ
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

ThomasFan1993

Here's my predictions for the 2019 Range:

Standard Gauge (HO/OO):
* Sidney
* Rosie (Red Livery)
* Stanley
* Daisy
* Samson
* Merlin
* Diesel 10
* Winston

Rolling Stock (HO/OO):
* Henrietta (w/Face)
* Hannah
* Rocky
* Bradford
* Judy & Jerome
* Sodor Works Unit Coach
* Troublesome Truck #6 (Vent Van)
* Troublesome Truck #7 (Oil Tanker)
* CGI-styled Milk Tanker
* CGI-styled Sodor Fuel Tanker
* Dexter (Red Coach Version)
* Aubrey & Aiden
* An An & Yin-Long
* Livestock Wagon (Grape Purple Livery)
* BR 20 Ton Brake Van
* W&LLR Brake Van

Non-Rail Characters:
* Trevor
* Butch
* Bulgy
* Ace
* Carly
* Big Mickey

Narrow Gauge Engines:
* Sir Handel
* Peter Sam

Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock:
* Brown Brake Van (Talyllyn Railway's No. 6 Guard's Van)
* Red Brake Van (Talyllyn Railway's No. 5 Guard's Van)
* Padann Railway Brake Van
* Slate Trucks (Type 2)

Resin Buildings:
* Ffarquhar Station
* Ffarquhar Sheds
* Wellsworth Station
* Wellsworth Sheds
* Wellsworth Railway Bridge
* The Watermill and Brick Bridge (Thomas' Branchline)
* Vicarstown Bridge
* Red Brick Bridge
* Skarloey Railway Engine Sheds
* Rheneas Station
* Rheneas Station Engine Sheds

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: ThomasFan1993 on January 16, 2019, 03:19:40 PM
Here's my predictions for the 2019 Range:

Standard Gauge (HO/OO):
* Sidney
* Rosie (Red Livery)
* Stanley
* Daisy
* Samson
* Merlin
* Diesel 10
* Winston

Rolling Stock (HO/OO):
* Henrietta (w/Face)
* Hannah
* Rocky
* Bradford
* Judy & Jerome
* Sodor Works Unit Coach
* Troublesome Truck #6 (Vent Van)
* Troublesome Truck #7 (Oil Tanker)
* CGI-styled Milk Tanker
* CGI-styled Sodor Fuel Tanker
* Dexter (Red Coach Version)
* Aubrey & Aiden
* An An & Yin-Long
* Livestock Wagon (Grape Purple Livery)
* BR 20 Ton Brake Van
* W&LLR Brake Van

Non-Rail Characters:
* Trevor
* Butch
* Bulgy
* Ace
* Carly
* Big Mickey

Narrow Gauge Engines:
* Sir Handel
* Peter Sam

Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock:
* Brown Brake Van (Talyllyn Railway's No. 6 Guard's Van)
* Red Brake Van (Talyllyn Railway's No. 5 Guard's Van)
* Padann Railway Brake Van
* Slate Trucks (Type 2)

Resin Buildings:
* Ffarquhar Station
* Ffarquhar Sheds
* Wellsworth Station
* Wellsworth Sheds
* Wellsworth Railway Bridge
* The Watermill and Brick Bridge (Thomas' Branchline)
* Vicarstown Bridge
* Red Brick Bridge
* Skarloey Railway Engine Sheds
* Rheneas Station
* Rheneas Station Engine Sheds

Mega Facepalm. Geez, seriously? You can't be for real with this nonsensical and absolutely unrealistic list.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

My predictions are as follows:

HO
No new engine
Explosives Van
Toffee Tanker

N Scale
Peter Sam
Red and Blue Brakevan
D. Fusit Wagon

G Scale
Another repaint, most likely a tanker
James w/ sound  

No new resin announcements

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised, though!
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Chaz

I definitely agree with most of the lists I have seen on here in general, Griffin's list in particular seems the most likely if Bachmann continues going on a smaller budget like last year (only I would personally replace the gunpowder wagons with brake vans but that's just me :P). I definitely enjoy the Plow Bender's post the most, and I am hoping that the large scale choices he mentioned get picked too.  Mavis in particular would look nice in large scale.  The only line I really have any hope for is narrow gauge, since they always seemed to have decent announcements for that range every year since they got announced.

Actually speaking of, while looking through some of the recent pages of this thread, I find it particularly interesting that not that many people are interested in a Duncan model. It's definitely expected because of how bad his CG render is, but it does make me want to ask a somewhat open question to everyone.  If it really came down to it, would you rather have a model of Duncan in his CG render, or one of the newer narrow gauge engines like Luke?
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Streak on January 14, 2019, 09:26:21 PM
Am I the only one who like the "crappy" rolling stock recolors. Idk why I just find them charming. I especially like the Toffee Tanker and I actually hope that's made in HO Scale. I can understand why others may not like them though.

From the way it appears, I'd have to say yes.  Ever since the announcements were made, no one was impressed with them, especially the large scale modelers who actually had hopes for something decent like a troublesome truck.  Like others have pointed out with the 2018 announcements, they were clearly more Mattel driven, which in turn left large scale with the short end of the stick and 3 tankers that no large scale collector even asked for.  Go back through the thread and I guarantee you won't find one positive thing about them.  Furthermore, ideas like this belong in the kiddie toy ranges, and should stay there.  Last time I checked, this is "Bachmann Trains", not "Fisher-Price Trackmaster"...

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on January 16, 2019, 05:41:25 PM
Mega Facepalm. Geez, seriously? You can't be for real with this nonsensical and absolutely unrealistic list.

I'm honestly willing to bet money that he is Mr. Rodimus.  Like I said in my previous post, these long and unrealistic wish lists are just people setting themselves up for disappointment when the announcements are made.  On that topic though, and in reply to Mr. Griffin's post, I personally feel his list seems even more realistic than mine.  The only thing I have my doubts on is the D. Fusit Wagon considering the fact brakevans seem to be in high demand at the moment, but I wouldn't throw the idea out completely.  Narrow Gauge could get just about anything (be it engines or rolling stock) and people would be happy with it, just as long as we don't get something mediocre like an ice cream van or Victor/Milly in the meantime.

Still, when you take a look at what announcements have been the last few years, they're pretty much all over the place.  That being the case, it really makes it hard to predict just what could have a chance as things can go in any direction between announcements.  Everyone pretty much said Arry and Bert for 2018 in Large Scale were inevitable (thanks to Diesel in 2017), yet after Diesel go kicked out the back door, so did that idea as well.  The same could probably be said for seeing Peter Sam in the 2018 lineup, considering Rusty had not yet been released.  Personally with the cost of everything going up anymore and production runs being cut shorter, it really leaves many starting to face the reality that manufactures honestly want to see that something is in high demand before they dump their assets into what could potentially be a flop.

Quote from: Cheeky_ULP on January 14, 2019, 10:54:16 PM
They could announce a flatbed with a pile of dust as a load for all I care as long as we get Stepney or Daisy with it, in all honesty.

In response to TerrencetheTractor525, I whole heartily agree your post as well.  Like I said before, I think Bachmann should make resin buildings aimed more towards Narrow Gauge, as it would boost their sales compared to doing something like a workmen's hut for example.  One thing I did forgot to bring up in my previous post was that it would be nice to see some houses amongst the resin buildings line as well, similar to the ideas that Mr. TerrencetheTractor brought up in one of his posts.  Example below.

Another idea I thought of was maybe Bachmann could look into some of the narrow gauge stations as well, considering they would again be smaller structures aimed towards the Narrow Gauge range.  I know someone did bring up the Sodor Manor (which I'm all for BTW) and I can also say I wouldn't mind seeing the other surrounding structures as well.  Still the Workman's Cottage is on the top of my must get list if it gets announced.  Does anyone else have any idea's for other small structures Bachmann could introduce for Narrow Gauge/HO for 2019?

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Streak

Ok Plow Blender, I don't get this. Why do you think the rolling stock recolors were Mattel's idea? Why would Mattel want Bachmann to make tankers based on random Trackmaster toys from 2009. That's 9 years ago! I'm pretty sure Bachmann just wanted to make something low effort for the Large Scale theme but still something that fits with the Thomas style. So they just looked up random tankers/tanker toys from the Thomas Wikia and went from there. Why else would they make the fricken Toffee Tanker? A thing from Season 11? Do you really think Mattel would ask them to make an obscure tanker from 11 seasons ago? I know people have this vendetta against Mattel but we can't blame them for everything guys.  ::)

Honestly if you ask me, I haven't seen Bachmann make a single Mattel influenced thing at all. Everything seems like something that they themselves decided to make. If Mattel was really running the show, we'd get a Bubble Machine Car, a Streamlined Gordon, and a Racing Stripes Thomas. Junk like that.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Quote from: Chaz on January 16, 2019, 11:23:14 PM
I definitely agree with most of the lists I have seen on here in general, Griffin's list in particular seems the most likely if Bachmann continues going on a smaller budget like last year (only I would personally replace the gunpowder wagons with brake vans but that's just me :P). I definitely enjoy the Plow Bender's post the most, and I am hoping that the large scale choices he mentioned get picked too.  Mavis in particular would look nice in large scale.  The only line I really have any hope for is narrow gauge, since they always seemed to have decent announcements for that range every year since they got announced.

Actually speaking of, while looking through some of the recent pages of this thread, I find it particularly interesting that not that many people are interested in a Duncan model. It's definitely expected because of how bad his CG render is, but it does make me want to ask a somewhat open question to everyone.  If it really came down to it, would you rather have a model of Duncan in his CG render, or one of the newer narrow gauge engines like Luke?
For some reason I had thought brake vans had already been released. I'd say in that case they're far more likely.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

TerencetheTractor525

Bachmann needs to run on a budget, so it's understandable if rolling recolors continue to be announced. The question to be asked is: would something no one asked for such as a bubble tanker get announced  ::)? Or, would some quality pieces such as Troublesome Truck #3 be announced instead? I wonder if the reason why Troublesome Truck #3 was not announced in large scale is that there is no cattle wagon tooling to base it off the HO model. Considering that the HO and large scale rolling stock with the same product name have not always been identical (the water tanker is a great example of this), Troublesome Truck #3 does not have to be a cattle wagon.

Quote from: Plow Bender on January 16, 2019, 11:53:03 PM
In response to TerrencetheTractor525, I whole heartily agree your post as well.  Like I said before, I think Bachmann should make resin buildings aimed more towards Narrow Gauge, as it would boost their sales compared to doing something like a workmen's hut for example.  One thing I did forgot to bring up in my previous post was that it would be nice to see some houses amongst the resin buildings line as well, similar to the ideas that Mr. TerrencetheTractor brought up in one of his posts.  Example below.

Another idea I thought of was maybe Bachmann could look into some of the narrow gauge stations as well, considering they would again be smaller structures aimed towards the Narrow Gauge range.  I know someone did bring up the Sodor Manor (which I'm all for BTW) and I can also say I wouldn't mind seeing the other surrounding structures as well.  Still the Workman's Cottage is on the top of my must get list if it gets announced.  Does anyone else have any idea's for other small structures Bachmann could introduce for Narrow Gauge/HO for 2019?

-Rusty

I'm all for those structures too  :). As for any other ideas pertaining to narrow gauge, Neptune Refreshments is popular structure that has been brought up multiple times. Here's a link to the page in which I discuss this building in more depth: https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34707.15.html
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Streak

You're absolutely right TerencetheTractor525. If Bachmann are low on budget and can't make all the unique rolling stock items we want, it's totally fine to add these recolored pieces. Granted, I think Bachmann shouldn't make a Bubble Tanker. That's too goofy and unrealistic for this line. (It seems like every time a Thomas line busts out the bubbles, it's a travesty.)

i believe there is potential with the recolor aproach. I've said it before and I'll say it again that the Brown Mail Van would be amazing! And besides there's also Jam Tankers, Dieselworks Tankers, Fireworks Vans, Chocolate Factory Vans, various Circus Trucks, various open wagons with special loads, and even recolor characters like Bradford and Hannah that are cheep easy options for Bachmann to get out content that can fill the void. I do hope however if they have the budget to make something new like Old Slow Coach, Hector, or Large Scale T. Truck #3, they would take the initiative to make that instead of recolors.

On the subject of Resign Buildings, I really hope we get some new ones for Thomas this year. Bachmann UK making new ones gives me a little more hope that it'll happen but I don't want to get too excited.

Chaz

Quote from: Streak on January 17, 2019, 01:10:06 AM
I know people have this vendetta against Mattel but we can't blame them for everything guys.  ::)

The Thomas and friends brand is owned by Mattel, so any decisions that apply to either of the Thomas ranges whether it's suggestions (from fans or suggestions from Mattel themselves), revisions, or any licensing, Bachmann has to go by them with Mattel.  Did anyone on this forum actually ask for some of the rolling stock recolors that are in question like the Diesel co tanker, the chocolate syrup tanker or even a green mail car and refidgerator car with lobster decals before they got announced? ... Didn't think so.

The recolors themselves are harmless since they don't really cost anything since they are the same tooling.  At the same time though, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are doing that much good if not a lot of people are raving over them or wanting to buy them if all they are going to do is just take up space if not a lot of sales are coming their way.  That being said, I don't really see Bachmann stopping anytime soon with them since our buddies at Mattel love looking for cheap ways to make money.  Sadly, I wouldn't rule out a bubble car or anything else along those lines in the future.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Plow_Bender

Deep breaths, Streak... calm yourself...  We're dealing with model trains not missals here governor...

Although I can't provide a reason that Mattel would push for these recolors (nor do I want to...), the point is that regardless they are the ones behind what Bachmann can and cannot do, and therefore everything has to meet their approval before anything gets announced.  I could probably elaborate a little more on this, but considering I feel I'm already wasting my time trying to explain what little I am, I'll leave it at that.

The only advantage Bachmann had over the tanker recolors was that the tooling for said models was already there.  I'll bet cash money Bachmann wouldn't be so reckless as to make 3 tanker recolors that wouldn't sell when clearly there was more demand for something like Red Coaches.  Even something like Fred Pelhay and/or Rickety for crying out loud would sell better than the 3 tanker recolors put together.   I'm sure many large scale collectors (myself included) would definitely be interested in buying both of those just for the sake of having more trucks.  Besides, you're the one who has hopes for them to have another go in HO, so why not Large Scale as well?

Furthermore, I highly doubt Bachmann would do something as childish as referring to the Wikia pages to get ideas, and then pick out some of the worst ones they could find.  As is they already have an entire forum dedicated to the discussion of fans stating what they would like to see added to the range, and yes Bachmann does in fact listen to what the fans want.  In addition to that, bringing up ideas like a Bubble Machine Car, Streamlined Gordon, and/or Racing Stripes Thomas is just ridiculous.  Mattel is already screwing things up as is, don't give them any ideas.

And lastly, this isn't the first time Mattel has pushed for mediocre additions like this, and regardless what you say/think, Mattel has influenced many things Bachmann has announced such as Rosie, the HO tankers from last year, the green mail car, and the lobster logo on the refrigerator car just to name a few.  I don't know why everything with you has to turn into an argument every time someone says something bad about Mattel or the franchise in general.  Just because you like rainbows and kittens doesn't mean the rest of us have to.  Check and mate...  ::)

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Cheeky_ULP

Bachmann is probably making wagons from the Trackmaster lines, as well as making up their own colorful wagons because they already milked the fairly normal-looking wagons years ago. The salt van, the M wagon, coal wagon, blue wagon, etc. were all wagons that were already in the show, and Bachmann for the most part, has blown through every option possible. The only thing I haven't really seen them do is...
- Flat Bed with different loads
- Container flat wagon with different loads (could repurpose the crate from the Christmas set easily)
- Dark brown or black variations of the vent vans, open wagons, and Mail Car
- Circus Train (the most surprising, to me)

It's no surprise Bachmanns making up their own stuff when they've already made rolling stock of most things in the show. Anything else would basically require a whole new tooling (like the Works Unit). Unless Bachmann suddenly feels a valid reason to make new toolings that are more accurate to the way items are in the show (and if they do, get ready for CGI proportioned wagons instead of Season 1-12, which would be better proportioned, but minor details like that get lost when you're adapting a kids shows content into toys for a strictly business reason)

Basically, don't expect much interesting OO wagons for a long time, if ever again. Bachmanns best bet to keep things fresh and interesting is trucks with model era-style Troublesome Truck faces. CGI faces just aren't as interesting or expressive, and don't hold a niche collectors interest.

There's plenty of building ideas, and I still stand by the ones I've mentioned before:
Quote from: Cheeky_ULP on March 24, 2018, 03:40:27 PM
These are all very interesting choices. One thing I was wanting to bring up in the future was the importance of whether buildings need to be resin or plastic. Resin buildings do look much better and much more accurate, but they are also more expensive to make and sell. I think if the smaller accessories like the water tower were made of plastic, it would be fine, but I feel like bigger buildings like stations, sheds, and warehouses come out looking better visually when they're made with resin.

It's a shame that it seems Bachmann has narrowed down on resin buildings, but I would still like to see a few more made. It makes me wonder if the initial resin buildings didn't sell well, hence the lack of a third round.

Sheds:
We definitely could use a narrow gauge shed. I'd agree that any narrow gauge shed would be acceptable, but my personal preference would be the ones from Season 4:

Castle:
I'll echo the ruined castle as well. Those are a classic icon of Thomas imagery, and representation in the range would be highly welcome. While there are many ruined castles you can buy from any store, the Thomas ones always had a unique design that resonated with my mind.

Retaining Wall:
I like the idea of a retaining wall; I think if they wanted to go for something that has a distinctly "Thomas" design, they should make the retaining walls seen throughout the early seasons:

The show practically already designed the product here! You can see where it cuts off after 4 arches. Customers could thus be allowed to decide how many segments they want their wall to extend by buying more segments as they wish. I also always liked how this particular wall segment had a roof-like piece to it, making it even taller, and adding to that uniquely Thomas "look." (most likely to hide parts of the sets back then).

Stations:
Ffarquhuar Station also seems like a no-brainer. It's the most iconic station in the show next to Knapford, having been on the introduction seen on nearly every VHS and many DVDs.

I'm more surprised you didn't mention Dryaw Station instead of Callan Station; Dryaw would have a higher chance, since it has appeared in CGI in many episodes lately. Bachmann also already made the Nissen shed, as well as Harold who would go nicely next to Dryaw. This would also give Bachmann a chance to make a footbridge and additional platforms, in a similar vein that Hornby did their own Dryaw. The Round water tower is also at the back of Dryaw, so it'd be yet another item already in the Thomas range that could tie it all together.

The Signal Gantry:
I've made many posts before about the Signal Gantry, and I'd agree it belongs in the range as well. I wrote about it in greater detail in a previous post:

Quote from: Sparks on October 21, 2017, 02:35:13 AM
I would like to see the Signal Gantry Junction personally:

In CGI, it has a four track and a three track variation. The difference is how many arches/poles it has:

Both versions appear in various scenes up to Season 21. Personally, I prefer the four track variation, where it only has two passage ways (as per the model picture), as it has been around in that form since the Classic Series. The 3 passage way version was introduced in Season 17.

I think overall... A narrow gauge shed, a ruined castle, Ffarquhaur or Dryaw, and a signal gantry ties in to a nice 4-6 or so products to focus on for a future year. That's where I'll stop for now, until I get more ideas.