Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2019

Started by Trainboy100, February 03, 2018, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Quote from: Streak on January 17, 2019, 03:32:15 PM
You're absolutely right TerencetheTractor525. If Bachmann are low on budget and can't make all the unique rolling stock items we want, it's totally fine to add these recolored pieces. Granted, I think Bachmann shouldn't make a Bubble Tanker. That's too goofy and unrealistic for this line. (It seems like every time a Thomas line busts out the bubbles, it's a travesty.)

i believe there is potential with the recolor aproach. I've said it before and I'll say it again that the Brown Mail Van would be amazing! And besides there's also Jam Tankers, Dieselworks Tankers, Fireworks Vans, Chocolate Factory Vans, various Circus Trucks, various open wagons with special loads, and even recolor characters like Bradford and Hannah that are cheep easy options for Bachmann to get out content that can fill the void. I do hope however if they have the budget to make something new like Old Slow Coach, Hector, or Large Scale T. Truck #3, they would take the initiative to make that instead of recolors.

On the subject of Resign Buildings, I really hope we get some new ones for Thomas this year. Bachmann UK making new ones gives me a little more hope that it'll happen but I don't want to get too excited.

Bachmann releasing a van with a brown livery and no other selling point (face, logo) would be disastrous for their sales. It'll never happen, even with the huge profit margin that they gain from repaints.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

douglas

I doubt there are more than maybe a few hundred "serious" Thomas modellers out there, and even fewer who make their voices heard by Bachmann on here or anywhere else. I think we tend to overestimate our influence on their year-to-year productmaking decisions with the Thomas line.

Streak

Quote from: Griffin on January 17, 2019, 08:47:08 PM
Bachmann releasing a van with a brown livery and no other selling point (face, logo) would be disastrous for their sales. It'll never happen, even with the huge profit margin that they gain from repaints.

I mean... Not really... Classic series fans would probably buy it up in a heart beat as it would basically be like the Brown Utility Vans from the show. And despite that, Bachmann has not only released a tanker with no logos (Toffee Tanker) but also a Mail Van recolor with no logos (Green Mail Van). I doubt that a Brown Mail Van would sell less than the awful Green Mail Van and I extremely doubt that one recolor would be "disastrous" to Bachmann's sales.

Quote from: douglas on January 17, 2019, 08:50:12 PM
I doubt there are more than maybe a few hundred "serious" Thomas modellers out there, and even fewer who make their voices heard by Bachmann on here or anywhere else. I think we tend to overestimate our influence on their year-to-year productmaking decisions with the Thomas line.

That's a very good point right there. We do have some influence it seems with some things (like how Grumpy Diesel was in a way used to fix a complaint fans had with the original model), but the fact is we really don't represent the full audience of this range. I don't know how much Bachmann takes into account the people on Twitter and other services.

Chaz

Quote from: Streak on January 17, 2019, 05:36:16 PM
Yes they have to get approved from Mattel but it's not like Mattel specifically said to make Rosie, Green Mail Car, the Tankers, and whatever. You cannot prove that without hard evidence. You can't just say everything Bachmann does that you or others don't like is solely because of Mattel.

Mattel owns Thomas and Friends, Bachmann has to go with what they want or in some cases, earn their approval on certain ideas and requests they get from fans.  And of course we can say it was Mattel's idea for the stuff that came out that no one asked for, that's literally who would be the ones requesting them in the first place!  Even the announcements that won older fans over like the Spiteful brake van, they still had to be approved by Mattel too.

If you want "hard evidence", I would encourage you to talk to literally any representative at Bachmann Trains if they are at a show in your area.  They are nice people and passionate about the hobby as much as the next guy.  They can tell you that there is a surprising amount of politics regarding the manufacturing in China as well as the licensing, negotiations and even the pricing that is made with Mattel in regards to what gets announced.  You would be surprised how much time and energy is behind making Thomas models compared to non-Thomas locomotives despite being cheaper and made with a more simple audience in mind.  

I don't doubt that both Bachmann as well as Mattel want to try to appeal to both older fans as well as attract the younger demographic.  That by itself is not only important to the Thomas brand itself, but also the hobby of model trains in general.  But if people on this forum see something a little random or different from what people have discussed on here, they naturally think it's a request from Mattel, again because they are in charge of the Thomas brand at this time.  

Finally, as much as I don't want to get into the little "patronizing" moment with you and Plow Bender, I have to admit that both he and Alex are right in regards to his suggesting of calming down a little bit too.  The way you have been expressing your views here has come off as a little too strong which keeps resulting in the countless arguments you've gotten yourself into with users on this forum, including me.  There's nothing wrong with having different views from one another, or even just having the unpopular opinion in general, but there is something wrong with the way how you have been communicating your views here on this forum, otherwise this wouldn't be a regular thing for you.  So please stop getting so worked up over things like this, not only is it tiring, but it's starting to make the environment on this forum become toxic.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Metal

Considering Mattel's current marketing practices and Bachmann's track record, I really don't expect Stepney or Daisy entering the range. (At least for the time being.)

The fact that we haven't seen toys about Stepney for quite some time now, and with merch for the likes of Nia and Rebecca churned out, I doubt we would see him, even though we've seen merch for Flying Scotsman but that's another story. As for Daisy, while it's a really great thing that she was given character development that kinda was a missed opportunity in the entire model era, and she as was also given lot of screentime and portrayal compared to many of the characters that are currently in the show. Where is the merch for her?
Mattel would most likely favor Nia and Rebecca over Stepney and Daisy, of course we all know what the likely response would be if they happen if they're announced for Bachmann.

Then again, are we even going to see Stepney in CGI, with the new direction of the show?

I understand that Bachmann listens to it's consumers, and it's now doubt that Stepney and Daisy would be successful, but at the same time Mattel's standards seems to be a handicap for them.

The fact that they made the Spiteful Brakevan is seriously a blessing. A classic character who was officially killed off.

However, I'm aware that I'm the minority here, but I do think Ryan would the best character to meet a happy compromise.
Think about it he's a CGI character yes but at the same time he feels like one that would fit in the classic series, a widely appealing character to both younger and older fans alike, and he would bring color contrast to the range. Plus there's a catch seeing how Daisy and Ryan make up a duo. It would increase a demand for Daisy which would already be considered superfluous. When we got Duck, there was a demand for Oliver.

Overall if we get a new engine with new tooling for HO/OO, Ryan is my best anticipation, if he happens to be announced I actually wouldn't mind picking him up.

That's my two cents.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

P.S. I know I haven't posted for awhile, but I work long hours, I will perhaps comment on NG Range later.

Rodimus Supreme

Conversely, I'd say that Bachmann doing The Spiteful Brake Van is proof that they could do Stepney despite him not being in the CGI series.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

I would almost agree except the Spiteful Brakevan a.) was already in large scale, so they had the face mold for HO already and b.) wasn't a new tooling to begin with for either the HO or G scale range. Stepney meets neither of these requirements, plus is a fully-fledged locomotive rather than a simple piece of rolling stock.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

douglas

Dumb question, but... official announcements when?

Chaz

Quote from: douglas on January 20, 2019, 03:35:23 PM

February 15th

Also, if we get another character who is considered marketable by Mattel standards, I could definitely see Ryan having a shot. He still has a good number of merchandise coming his way and is very popular with both the older and younger audiences. Might be a little more pricey than most characters Bachmann has made recently, but I think Bachmann could pull him off.

That being said, I'm still fairly skeptical if we get a new tooling in HO at this point so there's that much going against Ryan or any other character that requires a new tooling.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

douglas

Quote from: Chaz on January 20, 2019, 04:04:47 PM
Quote from: douglas on January 20, 2019, 03:35:23 PM

February 15th

Thanks bud. Crossing my fingers for Peter Sam and/or Sir Handel to round out the "Four Little Engines".

Rodimus Supreme

I just remembered something. Bachmann COULD do a brown/black mail van if they wanted to, because there was briefly a brown/black mail van with a Troublesome Truck face seen in the show before. I could've sworn there was one in Toad Stands By, But I can only find a pic at this link from a different episode: http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Troublesome_Trucks

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: Metal on January 19, 2019, 11:57:02 PM
However, I'm aware that I'm the minority here, but I do think Ryan would the best character to meet a happy compromise.
Think about it he's a CGI character yes but at the same time he feels like one that would fit in the classic series, a widely appealing character to both younger and older fans alike, and he would bring color contrast to the range. Plus there's a catch seeing how Daisy and Ryan make up a duo. It would increase a demand for Daisy which would already be considered superfluous. When we got Duck, there was a demand for Oliver.

Overall if we get a new engine with new tooling for HO/OO, Ryan is my best anticipation, if he happens to be announced I actually wouldn't mind picking him up.

That's my two cents.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

While I do agree that Ryan is probably the best CGI option as far as a new HO loco is concerned, I still believe that if Bachmann is going to announce a new loco with a new tooling in HO, the next one should be Daisy or Stepney, especially after seeing the Fall 2018 TCA video. Ryan would indeed be a good seller, but Daisy and Stepney would be great sellers. It's basically the difference between the sales of Duck or Oliver (classic characters) and Paxton (strong CGI character). Perhaps if Bachmann were to announce Daisy or Stepney first, their strong sales would increase the chances of them announcing Ryan afterwards? Thoughts?

However, I still concur with Chaz on that a new loco in HO for this year is unlikely.

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on January 21, 2019, 12:02:53 PM
I just remembered something. Bachmann COULD do a brown/black mail van is they wanted to, because there was briefly a brown/black mail van with a Troublesome Truck face seen in the show before. I could've sworn there was one in Toad Stands By, But I can only find a pic at this link from a different episode: http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Troublesome_Trucks

Oliver Owns Up  :). It would be interesting to see Bachmann pull off a troublesome mail car, but I think that the next one should be a tanker or ventilated van.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TrainFan97

Only three more weeks before the 2019 announcements get posted. Once they're posted, that's it until 2020.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

RailwayRoundhouse

Despite keeping my expectations low to avoid disappointment, I cannot wait to see what Bachmann has planned :) I'm personally hoping for a Narrow Gauge Brakevan and possibly Sir Handel or Peter Sam.

Plow_Bender

The way I see it, if any range is going to make out this year (or at least do better than the rest) it's going to be Narrow Gauge for sure.  I agree with what Mr. Griffin said earlier on in this thread, and I could see Large Scale and HO just getting mediocre recolors again.  I still have hopes that Bachmann is keeping a couple highly asked for announcements in their back pocket, but I'm not going to get too excited.  In all I can honestly say I'm looking forward to the 2019 announcements, as I am curious just how good and/or bad they're going to be.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."