Help with 2-8-0 & 2-10-0 wiring, both were sound equipped

Started by revruncop, February 07, 2018, 10:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revruncop

I got a box full of parts given to me and I would like to get them operational again, The previous owner wanted to swap the tenders and tried to pull all the electronics out of the original tenders to make the swap (no, I cant imagine why). Anyway, I know everything is there but where can I get a wiring diagram or photo so I can re-install and re-wire these parts. These are LN beautiful locos that I would love to see running again.
Thank you

jonathan

First, let's tackle the first part--the why.

Those of us who have been tinkering with Bachmann steamers for a long time, have discovered, to swap out tenders, you must also swap out the electronics.  In other words, the tender electronics must follow the original locomotive.  This ensures the proper running of the locomotive after the swap.  This has been my practice for years.  It works.

As for wiring diagrams, they don't really exist.  The diagrams that come with the locomotive are very basic and don't show wiring.

It has been my practice to mark each wire with tape and sharpie, they are disconnected.  You don't have this advantage. 

If you look closely at the PCB (electronics board), it is marked where each wire leaves the board.  For instance, motor wires are "M+" and "M-".  Lights usually have the letter "L" in the mark, though not always.  It's been a while, but I think the pick up wires have a "P+".  Could be wrong. 

Anyway, you have your hands full.  Good luck.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

Why not look at this as an opportunity to install much better aftermarket decoders such as the Tsunami 2.

You can always pay a tech to do the job if you aren't up to it.