Pennsylvania 4-4-0- won't run

Started by ragman, February 08, 2018, 11:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragman

Last November I bought a Pennsylvania P.R.R (Model 51114) 4-4-0.  I ran it for a couple of weeks, then put it away to do work on my layout.  Two weeks ago I took it out, and tried to run it, but it appears the loco wheels are stuck.  When I power it, I hear something turning (I think in the tender, but nothing turns.. Since I'm new to this, I not sure if I can take it apart to check it, so any help would bwe appreciated.  Thanks

bbmiroku

First off, try turning the wheels by hand while it is upside down.  I looked up your engine, and since the motor is in the tender, then there should be a little leeway in the wheels.  One of your siderods may have worked itself loose and is binding the running gear.  If the wheels don't turn at all and the siderods aren't loose, then you can set the tender aside and worry about the engine itself.
If that's not the issue, there might be a loose or stripped item in your gearing (hopefully it's the rod between the tender and the engine), which will be a real pain in the wazoo unless it's still under warranty (and you remembered to turn in the warranty card).
Occasionally my tender-motor 2-4-0s will work the bolt loose in the running gear.