Adding to "The General" train set

Started by billyb, February 14, 2018, 08:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyb

I received The General train set for Christmas.  Want to expand and build a larger layout with turnouts, ramps etc.
Will I need a new controller? I have been told by some yes and someone told me no you are fine.  My layout will be about 54" x 120" (4 1/2 ft. x 10 ft).  Was told that the more track, slower train would go. 
I appreciate any help, I am newbie on this.

jonathan

billyb,

In theory, YES, you can get away with having only one controller. 

Now for the long answer...

As you increase the size of your layout, the electric current will have a tougher time maintaining a steady flow through your track, for many reasons, not the least of which is the connections between the increased number of track pieces.  There are two main ways to solve this problem:

1)  Solder the track pieces together, to improve the ability of current to flow smoothly throughout the layout; and

2) Add more connector wires from your controller to various places on the layout.  In other words...

You have some sort of connectors that attach your controller to some sort of tabs on a connector piece of track.  Start off my adding another connector track at the furthest point of your current track connector, if you get my meaning.  Connect that to the controller as well--paying attention to the +/- poles. You don't want to cross the polarities (shorts).

The more connectors you have, from the controller to various point on the layout, the more steady the current flow.

That's the basics.  Hope that gives you an idea of what I mean to communicate.

Regards,

Jonathan