Can I run any company locomotives on my bachmann EZ command DCC Controller??

Started by CPRailfan31, March 06, 2018, 11:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPRailfan31

I want to get a Walthers Mainline HO 910-20155 GE ES44AC Evolution Series GEVO Locomotive with DCC could I run it if I program it or do I need a seperate controller

Bucksco

EZ Command will control any NMRA compliant DCC locomotive.

ACY

Be careful if you want to buy European models as they don't go by the NMRA, they follow NEM standards which are different so they either may only be partially compatible or incompatible. For instance, I am fairly certain Hornby locomotives and systems (NEM Compliant) have some compatibility issues with North American (NMRA compliant) models and controllers. However, they may have corrected that in recent years, to make them also NMRA compliant.
Also proprietary control systems like those used by Lionel are incompatible, while some such as those used by Mike's Train House (MTH) have limited compatibility/functionality. Lionel uses TMCC (Train Master Command Control) which is only found in Lionel products and cannot control any non-TMCC locomotives. This system is primarily used in O and S exclusively. MTH locomotives have DCS (Digital Command System) instead of DCC (Digital Command Control) but will run with your Bachmann DCC controller but only a limited number of sound effects and functions are accessible and programming is also very limited. The MTH DCS controller can run DCC, DCS or TMCC locomotives, but again functionality with other systems is limited.
Aside from the aforementioned exceptions (Lionel and MTH), all other products sold in the US and Canada follow NMRA standards for DCC.

Generally speaking your Bachmann E-Z Command DCC controller is suitable to run any HO scale DCC locomotive produced for sale in North America.