News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cutting ho ns ez track

Started by E Allen, February 18, 2018, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E Allen

I have a swing gate on my layout and need to cut track in several places. What is the best way to do this?

Flare

I used to use a razor saw to cut track (The more teeth per inch the better) but now I use a rotary tool.

You can make very straight cuts with the saw, especially if you're able to brace the saw against something like a block of wood.

The rotary tool is far more convenient though if you can afford it, and make sure you have a plastic-compatible cutting wheel after cutting the rails.

Terry Toenges

I've used a razor saw and a rotary tool. I definitely like the rotary tool.
With the rotary, you have to make sure the disks are big enough so you are not cutting at an angle. A tool with a flexible extension is the best so it's not so big around at the end.
With the saw, you have to be very careful that you don't pull the rails off the spike with the back and forth motion. Something I thought about doing (before I got the rotary) was to clamp the track piece between two thin pieces of wood and then saw through the whole thing. I don't know if that would help keep the rails in place because I never got to try it.
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

I just got my razor saw a few months ago second-hand (and the only thing I could think of as to why it was being sold was an upgrade).  It's an Atlas snap-saw, and it came with a Miter Jr. box, perfectly sized to cut HO track.  I've found it's best to use light pressure to saw to keep it from binding (and de-railing the track).
In fact, I'm so pleased with the saw that I use it to get pieces off sprues when I'm putting together models.

charon

Mr. B;
Would that cut the G scale track?
Thanks;
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

E Allen

I think I understand how to cut the track, but what about the gray base the track sits upon?

Terry Toenges

That's why I use the rotary tool - to cut through the E-Z Track rail and base at the same time.
Feel like a Mogul.

James in FL

There is more than one way to skin the same cat, nobody is right and nobody is wrong.
Looking at the railhead from directly on top:
Some like to cut the rail perpendicular to the length of the rail (90° angle straight down).
I like to cut at a 45° angle, straight down (/).
I don't fill the gap.
Just my preference YMMV.
But you don't have to cut "straight down", the angle top to bottom does not matter.
A gap is a gap.

Good luck

bbmiroku

Chuck,
The razor saw would cut the track and roadbed with no problem.  I've cut through some older steel track with hardly a difference to the nickel-silver.  But the Miter Jr. box would be way too small for G-Scale track, unless you are cutting just the rails.

Terry Toenges

There are different depth razor saws. Make sure you get one that will is deep enough to cut all the way through the track and the road bed. The razor saw I had wasn't deep enough to do that. That why I went with the rotary.
Feel like a Mogul.