N scale #6 single crossover turnouts, both left & right

Started by kevincasey, February 19, 2018, 08:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevincasey

both of these switches do not work properly all the time - my cars with longer wheel bases work the best, but there are times these fail too  - the short wheel based Santa Fe locomotive rarely works on these crossovers  - speed of the train do not solve the problem either - medium fast or super slow (it does not matter), the success of the train to cross over is not always successful - there are times the train goes around OK, but then on it's 3 or 4th pass, the crossover fails - any ideas or suggestions? - I have a 5' straight track between the left and right crossovers

bbmiroku

It might not be the crossover.  Your wheels may be slightly out of gauge (width between rails) or out of gauge (height of flange).

leoNScale

I'm a newbie and having FUN.
My trouble is with a GP-7 locomotive how do I check the height and flange.  All rolling stock and a NW-2 switcher work great.
thanks
leoNscale

mrmel0

I have 7 of these #6 turnouts on my layout, and they all work like a charm.

Maletrain

Another possibility is that there is a vertical kink in the track.  This may be caused by putting the tracks on a surface that is not flat (for instance, a lumpy rug, but don't ask how I know that).  It may also be caused by track sections not mating properly, either because they were accidentally misaligned when the sections were put together, or because the track joiners are bent.

The best way to look for this problem is to put something straight along the tops of the rails and looking horizontally for light coming under it at some area.  Do one rail at a time, along both the straight and diverging portions of the track. 

If the "something straight" is made out of metal, don't forget to turn-off power to the rails before you put it on them.