News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler for Irish Railways loco?

Started by raveoned, February 26, 2018, 04:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raveoned

Not too long ago, I was able to find the Bachmann Irish Railways set for a really good price!

Everything looks to be there, but the coupler is missing from the tender. 

Does anyone know a good equivalent for the UK style coupler?  I want to keep it as stock as possible, so I'm not going to change everything over to knuckle couplers.

It looks like it needs the coupler and the part that would hold it in place on the tender.  The main post that's molded in the chassis of the tender is there.  Just whatever held the coupler in place and the coupler itself.

Any help would be appreciated!

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

It is going to be the Hook and Loop style coupler. Best replacement would be a Bachmann #78979 Hook and Loop Coupler. Bachmann MSRP for them is $13 for three pairs. And looking at the picture on Bachmann's website, they do include the mounting screws.

Trainman203

Is it my imagination?  Or do these appear to be identical to
the old Mantua couplers from the dark ages?

Len

Quote from: Trainman203 on February 27, 2018, 08:48:30 AM
Is it my imagination?  Or do these appear to be identical to
the old Mantua couplers from the dark ages?

I inherited a complete train with the old Mantua couplers from one of my uncles. The hook and loop are both made with sheet metal that is horizontal, rather than vertically like the pictures show.

Pictures of the set show what looks more like a Hornby, or Marklin, coupler. With a loop that's not as wide as Bachmann's regular gauge 'Thomas' line.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

the Bach-man

Dear Len,
It's very likely that the coupler is the same as those on our Thomas line, and they're available from the service department.
Give them a call!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

raveoned

Thank you for your help!

I'll put in an order tomorrow for the couplers!

Although they look a bit similar, they aren't like the old Mantua couplers.  Almost the same principle, but the hook extends out over the loop, and doesn't have the flip up covering like the old Mantua couplers had.