News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacing Couplers

Started by Teamanglerx, December 09, 2007, 11:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teamanglerx

As I posted earlier I got some new N Scale freight cars that had the new knuckle coupler on them.  I would like to know how hard it would be to switch to the rapido type without replacing the entire truck assembly and if you can order the parts from Bachman.

the Bach-man

Dear Team,
The new couplers have a Tee shank like the Rapidos, so they are easy to change. There should be a pair of the Rapido couplers in the packing, but, if not, they are readily available from any hobby shop or the service department.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

RAM

I am not in N scale, but if I were I think I would go with the New Knuckle Coupler.  Unless you have a lot of cars already.  You might try changing one end on two cars and give them a try to see how you likle them.

SteamGene

I'm also not in N scale, but if the N scale knuckle couplers act like the HO Kadees, you're better off with them than with Rapidos.  If you have a lot of cars, a gradual replacement campaign would work.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

taz-of-boyds

I'm in N scale, and knuckle couplers are my plan.  I had a big break in my model railroading of 25 years or so.  And when I was running N scale back then I was using the knuckle couplers.  To me the Rapidos are funny looking and not at all like the real thing.  The Rapidos have not worked well for me either.  RAM and SteamGene's suggestions are good.  Though some people stick with Rapido.

Enjoy,
Charles