News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 EZ Commands?

Started by mrmel0, March 10, 2018, 03:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmel0

Can 2 EZ command units be hooked up to the same track so that 2 engineers can play at the same time? One operator per engine for example.

Hunt

Only one E-Z Command Control Center can be connected to same track.

ACY

Quote from: mrmel0 on March 10, 2018, 03:40:54 PM
Can 2 EZ command units be hooked up to the same track so that 2 engineers can play at the same time? One operator per engine for example.
You can only use the walk around companion. Two E-Z Command DCC systems hooked up simultaneously will cause serious problems to say the least. Do not attempt it. You can use 2 systems if you have two loops of track that are electrically isolated and not connected at any point.

mrmel0

Quote from: ACY on March 10, 2018, 07:24:08 PM
Quote from: mrmel0 on March 10, 2018, 03:40:54 PM
You can only use the walk around companion. Two E-Z Command DCC systems hooked up simultaneously will cause serious problems to say the least. Do not attempt it. You can use 2 systems if you have two loops of track that are electrically isolated and not connected at any point.

So a "block" then, right? Could you use one per block? Could they both be set to the same functions? (Example: Locomotive A assigned to command 1 on both modules, Locomotive B to command 2 on both modules - and now both modules can run the same train alternatively.)

Hunt

No,  you cannot E-Z Command Control Center or any DCC command station as you describe.

mrmel0

Help me out if you can, Hunt.

Imagine connecting inner/outer ovals, with them being blocked from each other. How do I get power to both blocks with only one EZ command?

Explain it to me like I'm a 6-year old. If my EZ command is wired to the outer oval, and blocked from the inner oval, how do I get power to the inner oval?

Hunt

E-Z Command Control Center  === outer loop terminal rerailer === inter loop terminal rerailer

mrmel0

Quote from: Hunt on March 15, 2018, 04:17:55 PM

E-Z Command Control Center  === outer loop terminal rerailer === inter loop terminal rerailer

So, one EZ command === outer loop terminal rerailer === inter loop terminal rerailer === spur terminal rerailer - can do?

jward

Yes, you can do that. Be sure to maintain the polarity of the rails when you connect the power cables between the rerailers. Otherwise you will get a short and possibly damage your command center. If you understand how to use a muilimeter, you can use it to test the wiring BEFORE you power anything up.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

Time to get more advanced DCC that allows multiple cabs.  EZ command is the DCC equivalent of an old fashioned AC train set "transformer", really meant for only one train moving at a time.  It's really good for what it is, but what it ain't, it ain't.  I used one for a couple of years but moved on when I wanted more.

Maletrain

What you are asking seems to be a little different than what you really mean.  So, let's be careful to be clear so that you don't make an expensive mistake.  

Obviously two people could set up two entirely separate loops with two Easy Commands and run a train on each one totally independent of the other.  That is true even if the two loops are set up with one totally inside the other.

But, it sounds like you really want the two loops to be connected somewhere, so that the train on one can go to the other loop.  That is where you would cause trouble.  One problem is that the electrical pickups on the locomotive wheels would be picking up power from both command stations at the same time as it crosses the gap from one loop to the other.  A problem like a short at that point might be able to double the voltage through your loco because the two power systems are not bonded electrically.  And, they might feed double the current through the short.

Another potential problem is that the control signals to the train would be coming from one command station, then both, then the other, as the locomotive changes loops.  Unless the two command stations were sending the same signals to that loco's address, the loco may get "confused".  I am not sure what the Bachmann DCC command station logic is like, but command stations that comply with NMRA standards will also "get confused" when two are connected together on the same rails, which is what the loco will do when changing loops if each loop is on a different command station.

You probably already realize that the Easy Command can run more than one train at a time, so that you could power both loops with one Easy Command and run two trains independently at the same time. Except that the Easy Command can only send signals to change speed, direction, lights, etc. to one loco address at a time.  I did that for years under a Christmas tree - running two locos with one Easy Command.  When I had only one loop, both locos were on the same loop, and I just kept switching the Easy Command between addresses to control the speeds so they became matched and neither train caught up to the other.  That can be difficult, because there is a problem unless you keep track of where the speed dial is set for both trains and switch to a vacant address between switching to the other locomotive so that you can reset the speed dial to where you left it for the other train without affecting the one you are switching from.

And, of course, with 2 loops, it does not matter if the trains are running at different speeds or the same speed, so you could even use the same loco address for both with one Easy Command, so that they would both start and stop, etc. together.

But, what it sounds like you really want is two throttles that can drive two locos independently anywhere on the whole layout.  To do that, you need a different DCC system that has a single command station that can use multiple throttles.  You can only have one command station hooked to the layout, but command stations like those made by NCE and Digitrax (and others) can take inputs from multiple throttles and send them out to multiple locos in a coordinated manner at the same time.  

If you are serious about the hobby, getting one of the main-stream command stations is a good next step.  It would give you much more control of your locos, both in where they can run and how independently you can control them, plus, you would have better control of functions like sounds, lighting and grouping multiple locos to run together in single trains with one controller (called "consisting" or "MUing").

mrmel0

Got some EXCELLENT info in here. Thanks everyone.

jward

Re: crossing the gap between sections powered by different EZ commands. As alluded to, this could cause a short. I'd like to amend that to it WILL cause a short. The DCC waveform is a form of AC. The "polarity" is constantly changing. Unless the waveforms of the two command stations are perfectly in phase, which is highly unlikely, they WILL short.

There is another way to run two trains that I haven't seen mentioned here. EZ App trains will run off the power supplied by the EZ command, but are controlled by Bluetooth. You could run one train with EZ command on DCC, and another on EZ App by your cell phone or tablet.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mrmel0

Quote from: jward on March 17, 2018, 08:17:39 AM
Re: crossing the gap between sections powered by different EZ commands. As alluded to, this could cause a short. I'd like to amend that to it WILL cause a short. The DCC waveform is a form of AC. The "polarity" is constantly changing. Unless the waveforms of the two command stations are perfectly in phase, which is highly unlikely, they WILL short.

There is another way to run two trains that I haven't seen mentioned here. EZ App trains will run off the power supplied by the EZ command, but are controlled by Bluetooth. You could run one train with EZ command on DCC, and another on EZ App by your cell phone or tablet.

This is a doable option. Thanks everyone.

Maletrain

(I don't have any of these and have no interest in getting any, so I am no expert - somebody should correct me if I am wrong on this.)  I think the EZ App from Bachmann requires a "decoder" in each loco that is made to receive Bluetooth radio frequency signals through the air instead of DCC signals through the rails.  That is different from other apps that require a Bluetooth receiver that connects to a command station, so that you can use your cell phone as a throttle to control any DCC equipped loco.  So, your EZ App can only control the locos that Bachmann provides with these particular Bluetooth decoders, not other locos from other manufacturers or even other Bachmann locos that have regular DCC decoders. 

Other manufacturers that make more sophisticated DCC command stations that have radio control (add-on) features are also now working on adding Bluetooth control add-ons that essentially mimic their regular radio control systems, except that you can use cell phones as throttles instead of having to buy radio-equipped throttles that are particular to the manufacturer's radio control system.  Those are a lot more versatile than the Bachmann EZ App and the locos specific to it.