News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scouts Train Show

Started by jonathan, March 11, 2018, 12:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Every year, the local MR clubs in our area gather for a fund-raiser for the Boy Scouts.  We have all scales represented, including a live-steam club... not sure what scale it is... big though.

Here are three layouts in the gym; two HO and one N:

DSC_1136 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

We get up early to start setting up for a 1000 opening.  I took these shots with about two hours to showtime:

DSC_1138 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

This is my club.  We have a handy swing-up bridge for getting inside.  

DSC_1140 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

As part of the merit badge program, the Scouts built this section of modules.  Each module is 2'X4' and wired to connect to any standard club module.  They're still setting up in this shot:

DSC_1141 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

One of our members, built an N scale layout on top of his HO scale module (it's a corner piece).  It has HO scale scenery, so it looks like a theme park ride when it's running. Very cool

DSC_1142 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Sometimes we run a figure-8 layout.  It's surprisingly fun, though, one must really pay attention while operating.  No severe crashes so far:

DSC_1145 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

One of our members built three consecutive modules, so he could put in something a bit different.  This section has a hill (2.5%) and curve.  Good trackwork. Trains run pretty smoothly through here.  Make sure you have enough power!

DSC_1147 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

This is our staging yard:

DSC_1148 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

This is my first train of the day, getting ready to enter the mainline:

DSC_1149 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1151 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I have acquired two modules in the past.  I built them up and gave them to other club members.  This is my third module, under construction:

DSC_1154 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Perhaps I'll hang on to this one... maybe.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the fun we're having this weekend.  Gotta get back to the show...

Regards,

Jonathan

charon

Thanks, Jonathan;
Great looking layouts and modules.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

James in FL

That's good stuff Jonathan

Terry Toenges

I like the "theme park" ride. That looks neat like that.
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

It's even better in action.  I always make sure to stop by the Prince William setup at the Great Scale Model Train Show in Timonium.

Bucksco

jonathan

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

Just to finish this off:

We're having Snowmaggedon II today.  So, when taking a break from shoveling (at my age, you have to), I've been trying to complete my traveling module:

DSC_1172 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Wiring is done.  Scenery is getting there.

Also, decided to make a few trees to split... some for the module--some for my layout:

DSC_1182 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I'm now better rested.  Back to the shovel...

Regards,

Jonathan

bbmiroku

Did you paint the Atlas Turntable shack yourself? And are you using a Sony Digital Camera?

jonathan

Yes, I painted the shack... brush painted it.

I use a Nikon digital camera.  It used to take much sharper photos.  I think I ruined it pointing it at the sun during the eclipse. Did use a filter, but... now my photos are a bit grainy. I'm no photographer... so don't know how to troubleshoot or figure out how to take great pictures.  thanks for asking  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

bbmiroku

Thought so.  I've only seen them in Basic Black. :P

And I asked because my Sony tags the images as DSC as well.