amperage draw for large scalle 2-8-0 outside frame

Started by Locojohn, March 16, 2018, 03:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locojohn

I have 2-8-0 outside frame large scale locomotive - Silverton Northern. Am running single track around the wall of 10 x 11 room. May convert to DCC late. May ad a passing sidine, but probably won't run more than one train at a time. What is the average current draw? What are my options for a power pack?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Locojohn,

This question has always been hard to answer because of all the variables involved.  Locomotives always draw more amps when starting than they do after starting when at the desired speed.  It also depends on lubrication and whether the loco is broken in or not.   After that it is what is the load the locomotive will be pulling, and then the grades involved.

On flat and level track a well broken in loco like yours might start at 3/4 Amp and level out at 1/2 amp while running at a constant moderate speed with no cars.   If you add say two passenger cars you might expect as much as 1/4 more in both start up and during moderate speeds.  Since you will have tight curves there will be a slight increase in amps pulling the train around the tight curves.  As you add more cars the amps required will increase as you add to the train length.   Amps will increase as you increase the grades your loco will have to pull its train up them.  You may not have grades, but you should plan as if you might in the future.

In cases like yours I would recommend a 5 Amp power pack, and perhaps more if you plan to use the same power supply to power a lot of accessories and lights.  Any good brand power pack with a 5 amp rating should be fine on your small size layout.   The above was based on some tests on my flat layout using the same locomotive some time ago with some sharp curves.  Keep the lubrication up to date with plastic compatible lubes. 

You have a great loco and enjoy constructing your layout!  Most in our scale build outside, and inside layouts are a bit rare.  As you get things going share your experience with us!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

If you're looking for something reliable and long term, I'd probably get something that will give you around 20 volts at 3 amps minimum, 5 amps would be better. You can get away with less (I ran my large scale stuff on an old HO power supply for our first few years) but a power supply is one of those things where it pays to spend the money to get a good one.

One thing you might want to consider--some flavor of wireless control. Revolution Train Engineer, Bridgewerks, and RailBoss (G Scale Graphics) all offer a trackside control unit which you can control remotely with a handheld controller. Prices and functionality vary, but all are rated for at least 5 amps.

Later,

K