News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder in Spectrum 4-8-2 light mountain

Started by newguy, December 09, 2007, 06:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newguy

Hey guys,
I recently installed a Bachmann decoder in my Spectrum DCC-ready 4-8-2 light mountain. I put it on the track to see if it worked and it did. I assigned it a number and put it away until yesterday.

I just noticed that I cannot turn on the headlight but the fire box light is always lit even if I'm running other locos. I should be able to control the headlight with my E-Z Command controller by pressing the fuction button and then pressing the #10 button.

Before I open the tender and start tinkering I thought I would ask if you think I put the 8-pin plug in backwards? That's the only thing I can think of unless I inadvertently disconnected the wire leading to the head light.

Thanks for any help,

New Guy (Andrew)

Jim Banner

If the headlight was working before you installed the decoder, then you probably plugged the decoder in backwards.  No biggie - just open it up and reverse the plug.  If the headlight was not working before you installed the decoder, then there is a problem in the headlight circuit, probably the bulb.  And if you are like me and don't have a clue whether the headlight was working before installing a decoder, try the easiest fix first and go on from there.  Reversing the decoder plug is likely the easiest fix, particularly because you have already figured out how to get to the decoder socket.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

newguy

Thanks Jim, I'll reverse it and let you know. I'm pretty certain the head light was working before.

andrew

newguy

Thanks Jim,

It works now. The only difference now between my DCC equipped locos and my newly installed decoder is that I notice now that I can still control the speed  and direction of the light mountain with the new decoder even when the function button is pressed. But that's ok.

Andrew

Hoople

Quote from: newguy on December 09, 2007, 07:24:09 PM
Thanks Jim,

The only difference now between my DCC equipped locos and my newly installed decoder is that I notice now that I can still control the speed  and direction of the light mountain with the new decoder even when the function button is pressed. But that's ok.

Andrew

That's a deliberate function for the E-Z command. I mean come on, running a sound equipped loco when you want to blow the whistle, you can't control speed? That'd just be dumb. The only thing you can't do (that I know of) with the function button pressed is select another locomotive.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

newguy

Hoople,

You are right, I just got mixed up.

New Guy

Jim Banner

Newguy, you are most welcome.  And thanks for letting us know how you made out. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.