News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tsunami installations

Started by r.cprmier, February 17, 2007, 08:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

Recently, I bought three Tsunami sound decoders and installed them in three articulateds; two Bachmann 2-6-6-2s, and a Mantua 2-6-6-2.  I will say thank God for tenders, and even then, they were tight going in.  This decoder is no midget!

Speaker went in the coal pile; a dozen holes drilled into the pile for sound output, and am covering the pile over with a piece of black pantyhose-not mine... and will sprinkle some coal over that.  Should look pretty good.  Now all I have to do is figure out the sound variations that are available to this decoder.

BTW; does anyone know the current a tortiose motor will draw?  I lost the specs I had.  Any feedback is appreciated.

Rich

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

topsir2

Where did you buy the Tsunami sound decoders? And what did they cost?

SteamGene

I don't know what size drill you used for your holes, but it is better to drill many small holes than a few large ones.  I use about a #70 and drill 50-80 holes.  You don't see them and with a Dremel, it takes no time at all.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

Quote from: topsir2 on February 17, 2007, 10:04:36 AM

You can buy them at www.soundtraxx.com and they all cost $119 and come in 6 variations: Light Steam, Medium Steam, Heavy Steam, Denver & Rio Grande K Class (Mikado), Denver & Rio Grande C class (Consolidation), and Light Logging.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Hunt

QuoteBTW; does anyone know the current a tortiose motor will draw?  I lost the specs I had.  Any feedback is appreciated.
Rich
Circuitron Tortoise -- During operation, the draw is approximately 3ma. Stalled it will draw up to  25ma.

r.cprmier

Hunt;
My understanding (from what I have been told) is that these machines function much like a matched impedance type motor; that is, will stay energized at the "end of movement" position and it will not hurt them.  Is this true?

Rich
Rich

barrowsr

Rich,

You're correct the Tortoises are a full stall machine that remain energized at each end of their throw.

Robin

Hunt

Rich,
Circuitron Tortoise is Stall type (as Robin wrote) and requires constant power.

If you want to control the Tortoise with a DCC stationary (a.k.a. accessory) decoder, make sure the decoder is designed to be used with it.

r.cprmier

Robin, Hunt;
Thanks, guys for confirming that for me.  I think for the time being, that I am just going to use SPST switches for the machines, as it is just going to be me running the layout for the most part.

have a great evening
Rich
Rich

SteamGene

How did we get from Tsumami to Tortoise?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

chewie8han

Gene,
Rich asked about it in his very first post.  Seems he lost his instructions (which of us HASN'T lost some of those).
Kevin

hminky

I shouldn't be hard to put sound in those locos. I put a Tsunami in an MDC Oldtimer tender with twin speakers.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1905/roundhouse_sound/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Hoople

Quote from: Jake on February 17, 2007, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: topsir2 on February 17, 2007, 10:04:36 AM

You can buy them at www.soundtraxx.com and they all cost $119 and come in 6 variations: Light Steam, Medium Steam, Heavy Steam, Denver & Rio Grande K Class (Mikado), Denver & Rio Grande C class (Consolidation), and Light Logging.

Ah, but Tonys trains has them for $95.

That might help more.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!