Suggestions for the Thomas Resin Building Range

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 24, 2018, 12:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

I added some commentary to my last post, would love to hear all your thoughts!
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

TerencetheTractor525

Wonderful job on your post Griffin! Here are my thoughts:

Starting with Tidmouth Hault Station, I think that it is yet another great idea for the reasons that you stated. I especially like the fact that it is a station with a footbridge, which is unlike any of the other stations that are currently in the Bachmann Thomas line. The only problem that I see is that it consists of two station buildings, which means that a relatively great amount of money would have to go into it.

The Sodor Shipping Company is a building that I personally think is just too big to make, especially out of resin. Yet, considering that it is not a brick or stone building, I could see Bachmann making it as a plastic kit.

The Middle Station is a surprising choice, but an understandable one. It's a simple design, making it all the more likely to get made. Admittedly, I would prefer Rheneas Station, but I would not mind the Middle Station either.

While the Dieselworks Shed is not my favorite idea, I could see it selling very well, due to the amount of diesels there are in the range. Additionally, just like the Sodor Shipping Company, I could see it getting made as a plastic kit. Given that it is a roundhouse, it would be fascinating to see what Bachmann would do with it.

The Sodor Manor has to be my favorite of the five buildings that you suggested. It is indeed generic, but that's what makes it so appealing.

The house in Oliver's Find was a little bit different (as shown above).

However, the Sodor Manor was seen again in Season 5 in the episode Bye George! (as shown above).

As a result, buildings such as the Sodor Manor are simple, but extremely charming, as they are a significant part of the reason as to why the visuals of the model series were absolutely incredible.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Cheeky_ULP

Digging through some old websites, it's funny to think that a lot of the ideas mentioned on my old blog at http://sodorblog.blogspot.com/ ended up being made into the Bachmann range.

TerencetheTractor525

I thought that it would be fun to bring back this thread by discussing one of my favorite buildings in the television series: Neptune Refreshments.

As I was browsing on the Thomas Wikia last night, I clicked on the Neptune Refreshments page and noticed that quite a few changes have been made since the last time I checked. The main thing that caught my eye was that the Neptune Refreshments building is present in the CGI series as well.

It's amazing to see that buildings like Neptune Refreshments have passed the test of time: Classic Model Series to Late Model Series to CGI Series.

Unfortunately, at this point, I do not have a strong feeling that Bachmann will announce more resin buildings, but if they ever do, Neptune Refreshments is one that I would love to see.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Len

Never mind resin, at this point I'd be happy to see a "Plasticville - Sodor" series of buildings.

Aside from a few Hornby buildings I've managed to lay hands on, I'm pretty much having to go the cardstock building route for anything resembling UK style buildings for the 'Small Sodor Display' layout I'm building.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Chaz

Even if the HO line is nothing but recolors next year, if there is a new lineup of resin buildings and Peter Sam for narrow gauge then I will have no complaints.  Neptune's Refreshments really would work for the next lineup, if it really came down to it.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Anthony P2

to be honest, if all we got next year was Peter Sam, Neptune's Refreshments, and the Christmas truck from "Hunt the Truck," I would be cool with that! Doesn't matter to me what HO loco comes out next year. I could see Bachmann producing Sidney to get the most bang for their buck with their "Diesel" tooling, but it would be nice to see something like Stepney or Daisy. I totally understand if Bachmann go with the "Diesel" recolor with Sidney though.

Streak

So I was recommended by TerencetheTractor525 to make a list for what memorable Sodor locations I want made as Bachmann Resin Buildings. So here we go. My thought process in choosing these was picking locations that had some relation to any of the existing engines, rolling stock, vehicles, and buildings in the Thomas HO Line.

Toby's Shed-

This honestly seems like a no-brainer to me. We have Tidmouth Sheds for the Steam Team (whether new or old). Why not have arguably the most recognizable shed after them. Toby's Shed has come in many different shapes and sizes over the years and each of them would work well. The classic S1 design is the most iconic. I would especially like this version because of the design on the doors. There's the S5 version which could also double as Stepney's shed from Stepney Gets Lost. Thought I'd put that in there since everyone on here wants Stepney in HO scale. Finally there's the new series/CGI design with the front window. This design would be fine as well. While I'm usually one for going for the most recent design, the S1 design has so much charm to it in my opinion. But if we did get the new design, maybe they could include the bird house with it as a little bonus (if you don't know what I'm talking about, look up "Toby's New Shed")

Wellsworth Sheds-

While these sheds have been rather infamous in the Thomas fandom as of late (because it took precious Edward away  ::)), I think these are a nice generic set of sheds for them to built. They're Edward's current place of residence, they were in the Railway Series, and they would work well if Philip was ever made in the line (wishful thinking). I just think this would be cool. Toby's Shed takes priority though.  ;)

Ffarquhar/Dryaw-

It would be great to get another station in the Bachmann line. Maithwaite, Knapford, and Glennock (Trackside Station) are good but we need more. Both Ffarquhar and Dryaw are the best bets. Ffarquhar is the top station on Thomas' branchline and is used heavily in the current series. Dryaw is also just as recognizable and would be a great place to put Harold. If they made Dryaw, that could also lead to them making the Dryaw Football Field or a hanger for either Harold or Jeremy to use. Maybe they could even make Tiger Moth in HO Scale  :D

Stationmaster's House-

Not only would this be a great reference to everyone's favorite "Thomas Comes to Breakfast", it would work wonders as just a stand alone generic house. I like buildings that can have multiple uses and this fits the bill. They could even make a Classic Sodor Buildings pack and include this, C&B Barber Shop from "A Close Shave for Duck", and Topham Manor form "Sleeping Beauty".

Norramby Church-

If you don't remember what Norramby Church is, here's a catch-up. Norramby Church was the building seen at the end of Season 5's "Happily Ever After" when the wedding goers left it and were met by Thomas, Percy, and the Good Luck Package. This could lead them to even making an HO Scale Old Slow Coach. Hornby made one so why not Bachmann. They could always make the Old Church that's seen more often such as in Season 8's "Too Hot for Thomas". Speaking of churches...

Trevor's Shed-

Bachmann hasn't made Trevor yet but he is in high demand. Why not also make his iconic home, deep in the Vicarage Orchard. It would be nice to get a building for the road vehicles and this one is the best I could think of.

Neptune's Refreshments-

TerencetheTractor525 has already talked in great detail about this building. Go and read his posts about it. All I can really say is... Ditto.

Sodor Shipping Co. Building-

Consider this an honorable mention. This probably wouldn't be a resin building, rather a plastic kit like Knapford Station. I just wanted to put it on here because I think it deserves to be made by Bachmann.

...and finally my last resin building idea is...

Boulder-

I had to put one oddball pick on here but hear me out. How Boulder would work is that the boulder itself would be a separate piece (made of plastic or resin, whichever works best) and then would have a resin rock slope with a place to perch him. I doubt that Bachmann will ever make this as it just seems too toy-like. But hey, it work good with the HO scale Percy, HOn30 scale Skarloey and Rheneas, and the new Rusty coming out soon. Heck, all we would need is an HO scale Thumper and we'd have a "Rusty and the Boulder" remake on our hands.

Well that's my list. Thanks for reading and make your to comment down below about what you think about it. What resin buildings do you want Bachmann to make?  :)

Chaz

I think you are literally the first person ever to suggest on the Bachmann Trains forum to make a request of a model of Boulder.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Quote from: Chaz on September 27, 2018, 03:24:21 AM
I think you are literally the first person ever to suggest on the Bachmann Trains forum to make a request of a model of Boulder.
Can I say that I honestly don't think it's a bad idea?  :P
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Cheeky_ULP

Funny enough, Japanese Thomas fans -love- Boulder, so there is a bit of a market there.

Streak

;D Really? I thought it was peculiar when Wind Up Plarail made a whole wave early last year based on Rusty and the Boulder. That makes a lot more sense now. I don't think this Bachmann Boulder idea with ever come to fruition, but it's nice to see it isn't too crazy.

I think the other ideas I came up with have a better chance of being made, but it would be funny if they did make Boulder. "Better a smash than a squash!"

Chaz

Seeing as how nobody has actually come forth...

A Bachmann model of Boulder is a genuinely a bad idea, and that goes without even commenting on the fact it was suggested as a resin building. 

On the whole, it sounds like a complete waste for Bachmann.  For a toy or a playset, it makes perfect sense especially for a Japanese market and I can easily see why kids would be all for a toy with a plastic Boulder rolling along on the tracks for wooden or wind up trains.  So I could understand why it would work from a that perspective.

Bachmann on the other hand, being a model train company, wouldn't give into something this over the top.  It would not only be an abnormal addition as an accessory, but it would be an even stranger addition from a company that produces model trains.  If modelers wanted to make a model of Boulder, there are a number of ways to make a custom model of him.  Otherwise I think Bachmann's resources should be spent on a number of other products that would sell better and make more financial sense such as some of the buildings mentioned in Streak's post.  Toby's shed, Neptune's refreshments and Ffarquhar station in particular.

On a side note, the narrow gauge models are HOn30, not HOn3.  Common misconception, but the difference between the two is the width of track.  I actually covered this subject in the Narrow gauge modeling thread.

Streak

Yeah, it doesn't really seem that good when you say it like that. I said in my list that I doubt Bachmann would ever make this as it just seems too toy-like. I just wanted to put in on here just for fun. I'm not much of a serious modeler as you all are so forgive me if I make a comment/idea that sounds unpractical or all around silly. Speculation is all in good fun in my opinion.

Would you say any of my other ideas are impractical. If so I would greatly appreciate being told how I can improve in the future.

Also thanks for correcting me. I meant to put HOn30 but I guess I forgot the last 0. I'll make sure to edit that now. Thank you, Chaz.  :)

Chaz

I definetely with a lot of your other ideas and I mentioned a few in particular that you mentioned that I would also like to see too.  The shipping company would probably be a little big, as someone mentioned to me before, and I think it would honestly work better as a kit like Knapford station.