Suggestions for the Thomas Resin Building Range

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 24, 2018, 12:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLK2707

They should just do Wellsworth station and Wellsworth sheds.

TerencetheTractor525

I knew that you would have some great ideas up your sleeve, Streak ;). I especially like the idea of a Sodor Buildings Pack, which could consist of the Stationmaster's House, Sodor Manor, and maybe even Neptune Refreshments.

Also, after seeing your suggestions, I thought that it might be a good idea to discontinue some of the resin buildings and replace them with new ones, just case Bachmann does not want the resin building range to get too massive. Some examples would be to replace the Engine Shed with Toby's Shed, Maithwaite Station with Ffarquhar Station, and the Signal Box with a Signal Box with a different design. After all, the resin building range has remained stagnant since 2015, so discontinuing some of the buildings and replacing them with others would make things much more interesting.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Streak

Thanks! I'm glad you liked them. I was especially proud of my Stationmaster's House suggestion so I'm glad to see that you enjoyed that one in particular. The Sodor Buildings Pack idea reminds me of this one canceled Wooden Railway product: a flat facade of a generic buildings all in a row. There's something cool about simple generic buildings like C&B Barber Shop, Norramby Church, and Neptune Refreshments. They have a clear purpose sure, but they just have this simplicity that makes them so likable. I think Hornby understood this when they made all those Great Waterton Town Buildings (which I would die to see Bachmann make. Maybe even the Great Waterton tower too. :D) If they were to role with this idea, they could even throw in small stations like Rumblin' Bridge (S7) or Dryaw Goods Station (S3)

I think your idea of discontinuing some of the resin buildings and replacing them with newer ones is reasonable. If you have one of these buildings, I'd doubt you'd need another. Unless you broke it, or it's like the signal box and it makes sense to buy multiple. I guess I'm not completely onboard because I'm normally not a fan of good things being discontinued (cough Adventures cough). I'm still a little salty (pun intended) that Salty was discontinued from the HO Line. And even though I'd like a Bachmann Nia and Rebecca, I would not want Henry and Edward to be discontinued (I doubt they would though). If they need to discontinue a HO model, why not the Celebration Thomas? (or even the standard Diesel).

Back on the subject of buildings, I have one more idea that I forgot to put in my original post.

Farmer McColl's Farm-

This building could be just the barn, but it could also see the platform and that little cargo area (or whatever that wood structure next to the barn is) included with it. Farmer McColl's Farm is a semi-important location in the Thomas and Friends universe. It's important enough for Bachmann to make a Farmer McColl figure and (almost) make a Farmer McColl cattle wagon. While we're on the subject, can we please get more figures? (Lady Hatt, Dowager, Sir Robert, something!) Or better yet, make proper HO Scale human figures. Those would sell like hotcakes.

Len

There are a lot of possibilities with Farmer McColl's Farm...

Farm house
Hay shed roof on poles
Small utility shed roof on poles
Loading platform
Quanset huts
Wood bard
New brick tractor shed
Old wood tractor shed
Sheep

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Streak

Quote from: Len on September 29, 2018, 01:43:30 PM
There are a lot of possibilities with Farmer McColl's Farm...

Farm house
Hay shed roof on poles
Small utility shed roof on poles
Loading platform
Quanset huts
Wood bard
New brick tractor shed
Old wood tractor shed
Sheep

Len

I think the most likely out of those would be the wood barn (or bard), the loading platform, the huts, or that hay shed poled roof thing in that order. That house in the back there looks cool though. Maybe make that as a generic town house.

P.S. I might have to make a whole thread about HO scale human figures. There's just so many possibilities with that.

TerencetheTractor525

You're absolutely right, Streak. It's the simple and charming look of these buildings that make them so likable.

As for Farmer McColl's Farm, I like the idea, but I could actually see Bachmann just announcing Toby's Shed, which could be used as the barn. Plus, I personally think that the corrugated hut and storage shed are already two strong items that would be necessary to model a Bachmann Farmer McColl's Farm.

However, bringing up the house in the background reminded me of one more resin building suggestion that I had in mind: a cottage. Although cottages are generic, they have been seen throughout the entirety of the show, look great on any layout, and of course, add contrast to the resin building range.

The one that I would like to see is shown above.

This particular cottage has been seen since season 4 and is still seen on the show to this day, most notably behind Maithwaite Station.

It blends in with other buildings as well.

I could also see them going with this cottage, which was most commonly seen on the narrow gauge railway, and played a major role in "Bulldog".

Here's a shot of it at Lakeside.

This just goes to show that there are so many possibilities for the resin building range, and with this thread active once more, hopefully Bachmann will be able to announce at least one new resin building next year  :).

Streak

That's true. Honestly, unlike the other ranges, whatever Bachmann makes for the resin range would be a welcome addition. You really can't go wrong with any Sodor locations. Let's hope the spike in activity in this thread pushes Bachmann to consider more resin buildings in the future.  ;D

Len

If, for whatever reason, Bachmann decides not to do anything with new resin buildings, maybe they could do a series of high quality cardstock 'Sodor' building, along the lines of what Scale Scenes does.

Len

Streak

I know that this is for resin building suggestions, but I'm just gonna leave this here for you all to see.

https://twitter.com/Sidekickjason/status/934201110490779648

It seems like people on the Twitter side of the Thomas fandom want resin buildings as well. That's a good sign. I know we all want new buildings here.

P.S. I wanted to put a screenshot of the tweet but it wouldn't show up so I just put the link to the post. Does anyone know how to put screenshots on posts?

jleight

The possibilities are endless but one that I would love to see is the Knapford Station.  I was told by Bachmann that it was too big and not feasible and perhaps as a resin building they may be right, however, as a plastic model it might be a possibility.  I fear I will have to build one from styrene or other material.

Streak

Quote from: jleight on October 24, 2018, 04:56:11 PM
The possibilities are endless but one that I would love to see is the Knapford Station.  I was told by Bachmann that it was too big and not feasible and perhaps as a resin building they may be right, however, as a plastic model it might be a possibility.  I fear I will have to build one from styrene or other material.

Ummmm................ ???

You mean Knapford Station with the canopies and platforms and such. Well, I'ma be real with you, chief. It... kind of already exists.

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=756_772_773&products_id=1742&zenid=cla7ko1tsr3ufagi8i8r7hlss0

If you don't mean that, do you mean the station buildings that go next to the platform. Like Sir Topham Hatt's office, McBunn's Cafe, and the entrance from the parking lot. We don't have that in Bachmann so... I guess they could make that. Possibly?  :-\

TerencetheTractor525

I think that jleight was referring to the Knapford station building, which consists of Sir Topham Hatt's Office. Considering the length of the Knapford platform, I can understand why Bachmann stated that it is too big.

However, after watching the Fall 2018 TCA video for a second time, I think that resin buildings may be much more possible for 2019. If we're going for strong sales, a Narrow Gauge Engine Shed, Ffarquhar Station, Toby's Shed, the Retaining Wall, and surprisingly Neptune Refreshments feel like the best choices; and none of them are too big.

All in all, if we can get some new resin buildings as well as a new narrow gauge loco (preferibly Peter Sam) announced in 2019, I would be fine if the rest of the announcements are recolors.

Len

Not an entire building, but it wouldn't hurt to have a lorry dock for the rear side of the Brendam warehouse.

Len

TerencetheTractor525

I was going to post this in the "Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2019" thread, but after seeing that this is exclusive to the resin building range, I thought that it would be more appropriate to post this here. Anyways, Bachmann UK has announced their 2019 range: https://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=442

It's nice to see that there are many new narrow gauge buildings announced that are "slate themed". I like the look of the new slate built engine shed:

Am hoping that Bachmann will announce a narrow gauge engine shed for the Thomas line that is shorter in length, but consists of two stalls, as discussed earlier in this thread.

The same can be said for the newly announced narrow gauge slate worker's cottage:

It has a nice rectangular shape to it, but I still completely agree with Plow Bender on that the one from the episode "Bulldog" has a very special look to it. I can't explain what it is though:

I also wonder if this means that there is greater chance that the Bachmann Thomas resin building range will have some new additions this year too. Unfortunately, just like everything else recently discussed, I don't have my hopes up high, but would love to be pleasantly surprised too.

Plow_Bender

I think part of what makes the Workman's Cottage stick out amongst other structures is its small size and the landscape surrounding it.  It's not much different than your rustic log cabins out in the woods, only in that case you're not having to deal with the 9PM to Houndslow rumbling by and rattling the windows.

I'm on the same page wondering if the newest additions to the UK line may be an insight into some welcome additions to the resin buildings range as well, but at the same time I'm trying not to count my eggs before they hatch.  One thing's for sure, the 2019 announcements can't get here soon enough.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."