Powering the remote turnouts.

Started by mrmel0, March 26, 2018, 04:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmel0

The Bachmann remote-turnouts are wired in green with a plug, that I assume plugs into the remote. Then there a red double-wire with a plug on one side and horseshoe terminals on the other end, that I've assumed plug into the other side of the remote with the horseshoe terminals screwed into a power source.

Exactly, what power-source should I purchase to power 6 turnouts that I have on my layout? And do I just stack those horseshoe terminals from each turnout?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but you'll need to explain it to me like I'm a 6-year old. A picture would even be better.  ;D

mrmel0

Nothing a little reading won't help.

I see the switches actually plug into each other, so that eliminates the "stacking of terminals".

All I really need is a suggested power source.

RBDNHM

The most often cited answer will be any standard train accessory supply (something between say 12 and 16 volts) or a wall mount transformer equivalent. 

See this chain:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=16801.0

mrmel0

I've assumed this power booster will do the trick in terms of handling several 3 DCC locomotives and several turnouts. The turnouts simply hooked up to the red/white terminals, while the EZ Command connected by the audio-like cord.

Correct?

Hunt

Incorrect,  unless the turnouts are DCC decoder equipped. E-Z Command® 5 Amp Power Booster cannot be used in the manner you describe.

Bucksco

The Power Booster is primarily to boost your track power amperage. As stated previously your best bet is to use any standard HO power pack to power your accessories. A small HO pack with an accessory hookup would be ideal.

Maletrain

Yardmaster (or anybody who has the info), it would help to know what the current draw is for a Bachmann turnout.  And, are they continuously powered or momentarily powered just to change position (direction)?  The Bachmann website says that the turnout control power needs to be 16 volts, and can be either  AC or DC.  Buying a new DC train controller just to use its auxiliary power outputs seems like a waste of money and material.  An old "wall wart" power supply of the proper voltage from a piece of discarded electronics might serve the purpose at less expense and bulk.  Or, even a new 16 volt "wall wart" seems like it would be less expensive and bulky than a DC train control box.  But, we need to know the power (current) requirements for the number of turnouts on a layout.  If the direction switches are always powering the turnout mechanisms, then it will require a bigger power supply than if each direction switch just momentarily sends power to a single turnout only when the switch position is changed (or the turnout itself disconnects the power input after it changes position).

Bucksco

Can't tell you exactly - it is momentary. To be on the safe side use a lower voltage (12volts).

Maletrain

Quote from: Yardmaster on March 28, 2018, 11:27:38 AM
Can't tell you exactly - it is momentary. To be on the safe side use a lower voltage (12volts).

There are a lot of old 12 volt wall warts hanging around most homes.  Has anybody successfully use one for a Bachmann turnout power supply? If so, what was its current rating?

Len

For solenoid powered switch machines, like Bachmann's, I've found using a power supply in the 14-16V, AC or DC, gives the best operation. Operation is momentary, but the solenoid presents an almost dead short to the power supply, so you want something rated at list 1 amp. Some wall-warts show this as 1000 milliamps.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

mrmel0

Would something like this work? There are adapters that go to these plugs that you can hook wire-leads into. 

And this is what's looking for power, hooked up to 6 stacked non-DCC remote turnout switches.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

mrmel0

mrmel0

Quote from: Len on March 28, 2018, 05:05:31 PM
For $2.00 more this would be better:
https://www.amazon.com/Futurebatt-Adapter-Supply-Samsung-LTM1555B/dp/B074W1XVBL/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1522270880&sr=8-12&keywords=14V+AC+power+supply

Rated 3 amps, so it should handle just about any accessories you want to hook up to it.

Len

I got that part, cut off the plug to turn them into wire leads, hooked it up and IT WORKED!

That is, it has powered the turnout. I haven't tried it actually hooked up to the system yet, still waiting on a few tracks.

So far, so good! Thanks again.