News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Parts Availability

Started by Rocket_Scientist, March 27, 2018, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket_Scientist

This post is mostly for the "Bachmann". I've been wondering how long it will be before a new parts shipment arrives. I've noticed a LOT of items that are "sold out".....not discontinued, just out of stock and have been for quite a while. Case in point, i'm trying to rebuild a northern 4-8-4 bottom end that has seen better days but hard to do that when both the wheelset AND the complete wheelset and valve gear assembly (which is what it really needs) are BOTH out of stock. Rapido conversion couplers, motors, even traction tires are impossible to order right now because they've been out of stock for months on end.

Also if I need a motor for a 4-6-0 Baldwin, how about offering just the motor and not the complete frame or chassis assembly. Shouldn't have to spend $36 if all you need is the motor. Just wondering if we could get an update for those of us that are having projects/refurbishments being held up due to lack of parts.

Thanks!

ACY

Sir, I am not the Bachmann but I can tell you that Bachmann does not specifically produce parts for separate sale. Bachmann gets their parts through the normal production process, so when a locomotive is run there is usually a surplus of some parts that are offered for sale only because when the production facilities run it is hard to make the exact same amount of every component and part that is used to make a locomotive. Until the locomotive is re-run the parts will not be available. However, Bachmann does offer an excellent warranty on their locomotives so if you recently purchased a brand new Bachmann locomotive and it requires repair or servicing, Bachmann will generally exchange the locomotive for a new one free of charge with a copy of the receipt, warranty card, etc.
If you have older locomotives that are not covered under warranty, then my best advice for you is to either upgrade to the newer models which are quite a bit better all around than the older models or patiently wait for several years for the locomotive to be re-run and additional parts to be available.

the Bach-man

Dear Rocket,
ACY is correct- when an item is produced we get a certain number of parts for the service department.
We get more when the item is rerun.
We do not get parts as separate orders.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Rocket_Scientist

And just as an update, I sent my Northern in for repair/replace (most likely to be replaced since it's of the 2004 - 2012 vintage).....6 to 8 week turnaround time. Now looks like i'll have to send another loco in, as apparently there are no spare parts listed for the ALCO 2-6-0 mogul. I run straight DC and the locomotive was just tooling along and suddenly slowed down and stopped. The LED headlight comes on dim for a moment and then goes out...either direction. Looks like the dual mode decoder gave up the ghost since all other locos run fine....clean track and a hefty Spectrum power supply. I wonder if it may be easier to just remove the decoder and hardwire everything in the tender along with a dropping resistor for the LED headlight. The wiring looks pretty straight forward since everything is labeled as to what goes where.

Mike C

Yes just tear out the decoder .