News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GBW 351

Started by Bob S, December 10, 2007, 05:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob S

All I had to do to the Spectrum 2-8-0 to make it "convincing" as Green Bay and Western No. 351 was shorten the tender.

The sand dome should be a bit further forward and should be round, but it's "close enough"  ... operation trumps cosmetics around here.  There is one cosmetic detail that I might have to change though ... that round Baldwin builder's plate sticks out like a sore thumb.  I might have chisel it off and replace it with a rectanglar bit of styrene laser-printed for "ALCO Schenectady"   :lol:

The Spectrum 2-8-0 and Atlas code 55 track were the two items that convinced me I could switch to N scale and be happy with it.  I had the HO version of the loco; when the N scale came out, I purchased one, and enough Atlas code 55 for a small temporary switching set-up.  Right out of the box, the loco would crawl through the Atlas turn-outs (with the frogs unpowered) without even a hiccup, and the tractive effort is prodigious.   I bought a second, which will be the Ahnapee and Western incarnation of the same loco, and it performs as well as the first.  The frogs of the turnouts will be powered on the permanent layout (as "permanent" as layouts are .... )

Resp'y,
Bob S.
Grab Baggage and Walk!

taz-of-boyds

Bob,

Looks nice.  Was there any difficulty with the electrical pickup from the tender?

Thanks for showing us your work!
Charles

Bob S

Charles:

No problem.  The contact strips were folded over to conform to the new length between "windows", and super-glued back in.  No-brainer.

Resp'y,
Bob S.
Grab Baggage and Walk!