News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why the magnet?

Started by mrmel0, April 07, 2018, 07:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmel0

My Golden Spikes set came with an inch-square magnet in a package.

I thumbed through the material that came with the set, but I don't see the magnet addressed.

What's the magnet for?

Terry Toenges

The magnet is for uncoupling cars. You put the magnet under the track at a place where you would want to uncouple a car. You roll over it slowly and the cars will uncouple.
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

Click Here Bachmann video segment about undertrack magnet installation 

Click Here to view Bachmann video containning the  correct way to use E-Z Mate magnetic couplers with undertrack magnet.

mrmel0

Darn it. Let me go back and look at those materials more closely.

Thanks, guys.

mrmel0

Just ordered me a couple more. So that's how they do it! ;D

Terry Toenges

Thanks for the correction Hunt. I haven't used one of those for many years. I have had issues with unintentional uncoupling with those while decreasing speed. If you slow the train down while you're passing over one, it can happen. Slowing the train creates slack since the cars don't have brakes. That's if you have a small layout and the magnet is under track on your main line.
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

Quote from: Terry Toenges on April 08, 2018, 11:30:35 AM
. . .
I have had issues with unintentional uncoupling with those while decreasing speed. If you slow the train down while you're passing over one, it can happen.
. . .

Uncoupling while slowing moving over magnet is not normal.

If HO
Use Kadee #205 Coupler Height and Multi-Purpose Gauge or the like.
  Adjust coupler head centerline to correct height (25/64") above railhead and only then if necessary adjust  the coupler's trip pin to correct clearance above the railhead ( 1/32"). Never adjust  trip pin until coupler head is correct height.

Still have uncoupling while slowly moving over magnet - Replace coupler spring or better replace entire coupler.

Quote from: Hunt on April 07, 2018, 08:24:26 PM
BTW - Using this for correction to post as I do not have access to the "Modify" feature.

Click Here to view Bachmann video containning containing the  correct way to use E-Z Mate magnetic couplers with undertrack magnet.

Terry Toenges

It did happen but I didn't have a height gauge or trip pin pliers like I do now.
That was a long time ago when was I first starting out in '99. I had a couple locos, a few cars, steel track (that made a folded dog bone) and a few turnouts on a 4 X 6.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

This is to answer bbmiroku's question he messaged me. I know it looks like a reverse loop but it isn't. It's a crossing so I didn't have to cut gaps. This pic is looking the other way.
I only had this for a few months and gave it up.  It was out in my garage and too small to suit me so I junked it and moved to my living room and started a new one that was 5 1/2 x 10 1/2. This time I started buying gray track and phased out the black track. I always wanted an old West type layout so I shelved the diesels and newer cars and started buying old time stuff.

The whole thing

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

You can follow the progress through these two sections.
The first one is just the layout progress and I haven't updated it after 2003 yet.
http://www.sarget.com/lipmain.html
The second one is the Christmas layouts and that has them all to the present.
http://www.sarget.com/xmasdex.html
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku