Brand New Set of Bachman 2-6-6-2's....Lube Needs

Started by gsjcas, December 10, 2007, 11:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsjcas

;D ;D ;D ;D I am the Proud owner of two identical W&L.E. 2-6-6-2's (N Scale) and I have a question for the knowlegeable out there....
What are the lubrication needs of these engines....and if so Where.?????
One is about 2 weeks old and the other is brand new today.....The Brand new one is a little noisier than the older one....???? any suggestions....
Also what is the normal break in time for these "Giants"....Havin a ball, in my "Fantasy Island" Empire....( Boulder Junction ) New York, circa 1940's....on the New York, Canadian border.....A nice quiet lumber town... The Giants are going to pull an 18 car log train...!!!! Ahhh to be a kid again....who says you have to grow up......I just retired and I am having more fun then when I had my first Lionel set back in the fifties. Would love any suggestions on these subjects...Thanks.....Trainman :) :) :) :)

the Bach-man

Dear Trainman,
Use plastic compatible lubricants, like EZ Lubes. Light gear oil on all the moving parts, and a drop of conductive lubricant on the wheels, and you'll be all set. Run them at moderate speed in both forward and reverse for a couple of hours and they'll break in fine.
Have fun
the Bach-man

gsjcas

To The Bachman.... :) :) Thank you for your reply......I have one other question. I just purchased two 2-6-6-2's  from one of your dealers on the web.....I did not know until I recieved the second identical engine that the headlight has never workedon the first one. :) They are both new engines ....One headlight works and the other one does not .....Is there an easy fix to this problem ???......I am handy....but I do not want to start something I can not finish.... :) :) :) :)

taz-of-boyds

For break-in, I don't know if anyone else does this; but my test, break-in track is a figure eight.  This way the locomotive gets used to going around corners in both directions.  In the case of my Bachmann N Doodlebug it made a big difference in improving the behavior of the drive chain.  It developed more uniform speed and reduced the noise.  I could tell the difference because I got the Doodlebug before I had switched from an oval to the figure eight.

Trainman, welcome back(?) to model trains!  I have returned in the last couple of years after being gone a long time myself.

Charles

PS, maybe someone else has experience with the headlight, but I can at least take a look at my 2-6-6-2 when I get home...?