News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler screws

Started by Terry Toenges, April 19, 2018, 07:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Does anyone know where I can get coupler pocket screws? I looked in Bachmann's parts for sale section and they don't have them.
I don't know what size they are.
I was changing a coupler on my On30 caboose and lost a screw in my semi-shag carpet. I've been on my hand and knees, with a big light, searching and I can't find it. :(
Feel like a Mogul.

Anubis

Hi Terry,

You could try a magnet. I have managed to find a few odd lost pieces in carpet this way, over the years.....

John

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

2foot6

I agree with John,the screws are picked up by a magnet.That's how I find them on the floor...........Peter

jkemp

If Terry can locate them with a magnet, or otherwise, that's great.

Fingers crossed for Terry's good luck, but Plan B, little parts like that are always getting lost.  It is always great to have some of those on hand.

Or......Plan C, worse come to worse, knowing what to order before hand helps significantly.

I had the opportunity to purchase a few new tools just a couple of months ago.  Don't remember who, but someone was asking about nut driver sizes for removing and tightening the connecting rod fastener.  Didn't need that tool immediately, but know that I will at some point in the future.  Everyone sees things differently, but I was happy to identify something before I needed it in an emergency situation.

Terry Toenges

I was thinking about getting a magnet. I think I still have some Bachmann magnets out in the garage. I might hunt for them or just buy one. Maybe I will see if Kadee sells the screws. It wouldn't hurt to have some extras on hand. I could probably find an old freight car in the garage and scrounge one. It's  a pain in the butt because I have a detached garage and I have to remove my oxygen hose that  is hooked to my concentrator and put on my portable tank to head back there. I have enough hose hooked up so that I can go anywhere in the house.
It was me with the nut drivers and sizes. Bachmann has two nuts on the Mogul rods that takes a size that I can't find a nut driver for and I have searched a lot on the net.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Thank Hunt for stocking over the vacuum idea.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I found some on Ebay. Somebody is selling used ones in lots of ten for $6.95 plus $3.50 shipping.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

A #2 sheet metal or self tapping screw would probably work. When I lose Bachmann coupler screws, I clean out the hole with a #50 drill in a pin vice, tap if for 2-56, and replace it with a Kadee "cut to length" 2-56 nylon screw.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I know 2-56 is pretty standard for a lot of the screws used in model railroading. I'm replacing my couplers with Kadee #148's. I've been having issues with the  E Z Mates coming uncoupled sometimes. It mostly happens at the bridge and there are small bumps going on and off. I've tried shimming the track but I can't get it perfect so it could be my track and not the couplers causing it.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I went back and forth over the floor with magnet and found my screw. :)
Feel like a Mogul.

jkemp

FYI, this is at least remotely related.

Got an email advertisement for metric micro screws from Micro-Mark.  Just placed an order for a set of these.

https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Metric-Phillips-Screw-Set-1000pcs

I fully expect that I will use/need these both for coupler screws and other needs.

Jerry

Terry Toenges

That is cool. I'll have to ponder that. The number of times I've needed small screws like that is very few.
Feel like a Mogul.

jkemp

Quote from: Terry Toenges on June 07, 2018, 12:18:57 PM
That is cool. I'll have to ponder that. The number of times I've needed small screws like that is very few.

and usually it is for me also.  I always try to be very careful.

OTOH, I suspect that there are very few of us here that can't relate to your "lost very small screw" story.

At least for me, it was worth the money to have a nice backup.  The Micro-Mark screw kit, I believe, will be a very nice "Plan B".

Len

The Micro-Mark assortment are all 1.2mm dia x .5 pitch screws. The only differences are length and head size.

I prefer to buy packs of the metric size machine screws I most commonly run into from Micro-Fasteners:
http://www.microfasteners.com/home.php?cat=735

I store them in compartment boxes from the local craft store.

For older stuff that uses inch size screws, they have a two nice assortments for trains. One is brass, the other steel. I prefer the brass as they are easy to cut to odd lengths:
http://www.microfasteners.com/astbrtrn-small-brass-fastener-assortments-for-trains.html

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

The Micro Fastener assortment makes more sense to me since they are different sizes and not just different length and head for the Micromark ones.
Feel like a Mogul.