News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Max Voltage

Started by grsman, April 20, 2018, 09:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grsman

What would be the maximum DC/DCC power supply voltage for On30?
I would like to use L-Ion battery power for my DCC. I could use 11.1volt
battery, but I think that is a little low!? 14.8volt battery would be better,
but I afraid the charged value would be too high.? NiCAD or NiMH could
provide 12volts which would be great, but the size would be prohibitive.
Tom

Geoff12765

I'm not an expert, but if it helps, my Bachmann Spectrum controller for DC models, that came with my On30 starter set, has a maximum output of 15 volts DC.

The NMRA standard for DCC (standard S-9.1) says that " Digital Decoders intended for scales larger than "N" shall be designed to withstand a DC voltage of at least 27 volts as measured at the track".

You could also try doing a web search for DC and DCC controllers and see what their outputs are.

Hunt

Using  14.8 volts is OK.

To date an On30 locomotive with a  factory installed sound decoder provided by SoundTraxx  --

• An over voltage protection will automatically shut off motor control and sound when voltage exceeds 18 to 21 volts depending  on the decoder model. 
  • Absolute maximum voltage input is 27 volts.  Voltages exceeding 27 volts may cause permanent damage to the decoder even when over voltage protection is activated.

Kevin Strong

You'll be perfectly fine using 14.8 volts. That having been said, I use 11.1 volts in all of my On30 stuff, and am not wanting for speed at all. If you need a bit more, but space is an issue, use a step-up voltage regulator. Pololu sells a variable one that will go up to 24 volts.

Later,

K

grsman

I tried a 14.8V battery today and it seemed to work OK.
I don't think my Revolution DCC receiver/booster really likes 11.1 V.
I am more concerned about equipment that may use the DCC track
output directly for lighting and other things and not using the decoder.
I think all will be OK.
Tom

2foot6

I have found out the hard way that a number of American made and branded decoders do not like 18-20 volts at all,they are not meeting the NMRA standards.Many of them  have leaked smoke and stopped working.My system has 20 volts at the rails ,so as a precautionary move I now only use the better quality brands at a higher price(Tsunami,ESU and Soundtrax)The higher priced decoders give a much better sound and response in operation and don't smoke.........................Peter
I