News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

setting up semi permanant layout

Started by blhktpdude, December 11, 2007, 12:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blhktpdude

I am thinking about setting up a fairly simple oval layout with another oval in the middle on a 4x8 peice of plywood, but woujld like to fould the peice of ply wood in half for storage.  I am wondering if this is possible and if so would i need to use any specific type of track.  The reason i wasnt to do semi permanant is the only space I have for a layout is in my unheated garage and do not want to have to take the layout apart every time i want to run.  Any ideas or suggestions would be apreaicated.  Yes I realize that i would have to remove a section of track over the join so that it could fold.

WoundedBear

I have seen people do this, but a couple of them used a cheap ping-pong table as the base. It's already hinged, has legs, is reasonably strong and measures a bit larger....usually 5 X 9.

The 5 X 9 has the advantage of being able to use 22 inch radius curves and not be hugging the outer edges of the table. Much nicer if you have a few inches for scenery.

Sid

hobo

I created a layout in N scale that is placed on a 2" thich foam insulation board from Lowes/Home Depot.  The lay out is a 5x5 L and is about 3' deep.  It is leaning against the wall in my garage right now.  I currently use 4 of the inexpensive plastic saw horses to support the layout when I want to run the trains.

My intention is to make a hinged mount against the wall and fold the layout up against the wall when not in use.  The only draw back to this is I'm limited to how high I can build mountains and buildings.  And everything has to be firmly attached to the layout when moving it.  I already lost one engine that hit the concrete.

I know we are all tight on space, but you will have to stack and store your layout so you may actually find it easier to just stand the layout up.  The foam board with a complete layout is very light and easily managed buy one person.

japasha

One other methiod for a garage or portable layout is to suspend it from the ceiling when not in use. I had a folding 4x8 layout when I was a kid that went up against the wall when not in use.  Some fellows use door hinges to ensure accurate fit when sections are put together.