Hornby Discontinues Thomas Range

Started by Cheeky_ULP, April 23, 2018, 10:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

For years, Hornby has always been the opposing competitor for OO Thomas range. Many internet debates and videos have been solely dedicated to comparing Bachmann and Hornbys products. Today however, it looks like this is the closing chapter on the Hornby Thomas range:
https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/news/thomas-and-friends-news-april18
The range I feel like, had already been long past its peak, but it's sad to see the popular "rival" of Bachmanns Thomas range to formally end. I felt like it would be worthy of a thread, at the least.

Now the question is, does Bachmann have plans with Mattel to expand their range to the UK? Bachmann already did hit the Australian market not too long ago, and British stores regularly import the Bachmann range in whatever odd way they can. Perhaps 2019 will be the beginning of a new future in a new market?

Rodimus Supreme

It is sad, but didn't they discontinue it once before already? Then bring it back during an anniversary? Considering that, not as unhappy as I could be because It's possible they could bring it back again. Unless they lost the license to make and distribute OO Thomas products in the UK. Then in that case, I would be interested to know what could be in store for the future.

Chaz

Unlike the previous times the Hornby's range has been dropped, this is the first time the range has been really given a "formal" farewell announcing the license being dropped, so its highly unlikely the range will be brought back.

This is a great opportunity for Bachmann to acquire the rights for their HO and Narrow gauge ranges and potentially have stronger sales that could help Bachmann look into affording new toolings for the respective ranges.  The narrow gauge range especially would be popular once "officially" selling in the UK.  Plus the Bachmann range, in my eyes, is more "kid friendly" and would allow more fans to become invested in the hobby with models that actually look like the characters on the show allowing to be more more appealing than Hornby's range to both generations of Thomas fans. 

On a personal note, now that the Hornby Stepney clearly won't be making a third comeback now, now it's just as good of a time as any other for Bachmann to make the bluebell engine the HO range.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TerencetheTractor525

Frankly, I saw this coming from miles away. After Hornby's relaunch in 2015, many fans including myself were expecting new products such as Molly, Neville, Den, and Ryan (since Hornby had the basis of those locos). However, Hornby missed out on those opportunities entirely.

If Bachmann does bring the Thomas range to the UK, the sales would be breathtaking. No doubt about that. I also think that the resin building line would be much more popular, considering that most of the buildings from the Thomas show are based off English designs; the resin buildings appear to be much more popular in the UK as well.

Consequently, I'm disappointed to see Hornby's chapter on the Thomas line come to an end; but at the same time, I am content because it will give Bachmann the ability to do even better with the Thomas range  :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TrainFan97

Now that Hornby has officially called quits on their Thomas line, this is Bachmann's chance to FINALLY start selling their Thomas models in the UK. Once the HO and Narrow Gauge Thomas models start selling in the UK, it will increase sales immensely. Bachmann started selling their Thomas models in Australia just last year. Now, the license is available for the UK.

In terms of Thomas models, Lionel is now Bachmann's only competition left. Once Lionel calls quits on their Thomas license, Bachmann can eventually make O Scale Thomas models as well.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Chaz on April 23, 2018, 01:33:08 PM
Unlike the previous times the Hornby's range has been dropped, this is the first time the range has been really given a "formal" farewell announcing the license being dropped, so its highly unlikely the range will be brought back.

This is a great opportunity for Bachmann to acquire the rights for their HO and Narrow gauge ranges and potentially have stronger sales that could help Bachmann look into affording new toolings for the respective ranges.  The narrow gauge range especially would be popular once "officially" selling in the UK.  Plus the Bachmann range, in my eyes, is more "kid friendly" and would allow more fans to become invested in the hobby with models that actually look like the characters on the show allowing to be more more appealing than Hornby's range to both generations of Thomas fans.  

On a personal note, now that the Hornby Stepney clearly won't be making a third comeback now, now it's just as good of a time as any other for Bachmann to make the bluebell engine the HO range.
Ah, I did not see that the license HAD been dropped by Hornby. Sorry for them, but excited for Bachmann and the future. I can see Bachmann picking up the license for the UK and gaining enough sales to start doing a few tender engines again, even larger diesels. Heck, I hope that maybe Bachmann would see the good sales of characters they never got around to making that Hornby did, and hopefully they would consider making their own Murdoch, Dart (and Den to go with him because why wouldn't you do one without the other? XD ), and of course Stepney. Dang, there's just so much opportunity here. I'm excited and can't wait to see what happens. Please Bachmann or admins, if you guys see this, PLEASE look into acquiring the license to distribute HO/OO Scale Thomas models in the UK!!! It's too big of an opportunity to pass up!  ;D

Plow_Bender

Quote from: TrainFan97 on April 23, 2018, 05:29:34 PM
In terms of Thomas models, Lionel is now Bachmann's only competition left. Once Lionel calls quits on their Thomas license, Bachmann can eventually make O Scale Thomas models as well.

Not quite.  Tomix is still doing N scale, but it's pretty minimal compared to what Bachmann and/or Hornby and/or even Lionel have/had done.  I think it was a couple years back now that Bachmann actually looked into acquiring the N scale rights, but Tomix didn't want to give them up.  Probably the most ironic part about it was that not long after, Tomix suddenly decided to start up their range again (in CGI of course) after almost a decade of doing absolutely nothing.  I even heard rumors that Gordon is finally going to be brought into the range, but I'll believe it when I see it...  :P

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Cheeky_ULP

Tomix Gordon was brought up awhile back, and it wasn't really a rumor; it was a translation in one of Tomix's catalogues which listed a "Gordon." Whether it was a mis-translation of something else, or Gordon being announced but never shown or released is up for debate.

Chaz

Gordon was promoted on the packaging of some of the Tomix releases in Japan and even in the US.

Still bummed to this day it never happened.

Plow_Bender

I was actually referring to the most recent rumor of Gordon happening after Tomix ironically decided to bring back the range.  There was also one floating around that Edward was supposed to be in the lineup within the next couple years, but again it's a case of I'll believe it when I see it.

In addition to Chaz's post, I also saw this a few years back when I was hunting for Tomix models.

Quality of the image isn't the best, but you can see that Gordon was indeed in the plans around the same time as Percy and Henry.  Even if Gordon does happen (by some bizarre turn of events) however, I feel Tomix is going to drag their feet as long as they can.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Rodimus Supreme

If anything, Bachmann is probably closer to acquiring the O Scale license than the N Scale license. Wouldn't mind seeing that happen, as the Lionel models have funky proportions to me. One idea I'd like to see Bachmann consider if they got the O Scale license would be to keep the swappable face plates that Lionel did. I like the idea of being able to have the various expressions. Grumpy Diesel is close to being a venture in that direction, would just require a new way for the faces to attach that are made for convenient and easy removal so taking them off often is quick and not frustrating. Either way, new Scales for Bachmann would be too much fun! XD

TrainFan97

I didn't know Tomix is also available in the US.

So, in that case, Bachmann may not get the license for N Scale Thomas anytime soon.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

Quote from: TrainFan97 on April 24, 2018, 01:33:02 PM

So, in that case, Bachmann may not get the license for N Scale Thomas anytime soon.

They were available in the US at one point but stopped selling them here a long time ago, hence the old artwork on the packaging.  So the license should still be up for grabs since Tomix is only selling in Japan and hasn't brought anything to the US market in a long time.

O scale rights are owned by Lionel and they are still making products in their Thomas range, so therefore the odds of N scale rights being acquired would be far greater than O gauge.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Chaz on April 24, 2018, 01:56:50 PM

They were available in the US at one point but stopped selling them here a long time ago, hence the old artwork on the packaging.  So the license should still be up for grabs since Tomix is only selling in Japan and hasn't brought anything to the US market in a long time.

O scale rights are owned by Lionel and they are still making products in their Thomas range, so therefore the odds of N scale rights being acquired would be far greater than O gauge.
What products are Lionel making currently? Because I haven't seen any in a while.

TrainFan365

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on April 24, 2018, 03:31:14 PM
Quote from: Chaz on April 24, 2018, 01:56:50 PM

They were available in the US at one point but stopped selling them here a long time ago, hence the old artwork on the packaging.  So the license should still be up for grabs since Tomix is only selling in Japan and hasn't brought anything to the US market in a long time.

What peoducts are Lionel making currently? Because I haven't seen any in a while.

Thomas, Percy, James, and Diesel I'm pretty sure.