News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Log car chains

Started by Terry Toenges, May 02, 2018, 12:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I dug my log cars out of my stuff in the garage and they are missing the chains. Would anyone know what size the chains are? Precision Scale has 10" lengths in a variety of sizes from 10 links per inch to 34 links per inch.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I also emailed PSC but haven't heard back yet.
In their catalog, they have:
10" lengths of 10, 12, 13, 16, 20, 26, 32,  or 34  links per inch chain.
or
4" length small, medium, or large chain with hook sets.
I'm thinking the log chains for the cars would be the "large" set?
$6.50 for each 10" length of chain or $7.50 for the sets with 4" of chain and 4 hooks.

Feel like a Mogul.

Len

The inside dimension of 1:1 scale 3/8" grade 70 tie down chain is 1.37", which works out to 8.37 links per foot.

I leave you to do the math for HO.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Thanks Len.  I'll have to figure that out.
8.37 links per foot/12 inches per foot = .6975 links per inch real life X 48th scale = 33.48 links per inch. I think that's right. PSC's 34 LPI would be the closest. They don't say what size their sets are but since 34 LPI is their smallest chain, I guess the small sets would be around that.  .
With the three stock logs on, it takes 2 3/4" from hook to hook with the hooks that are on the on the cars.
I could get three chains from a 10" piece so I would have to buy two 10" chains for three cars. $13.00 + $7.00 shipping = $20.00
OR
Buy 6 small sets that include the hooks. $45.00 + $7 shipping = $52.00
It look like it will be $20  for the 10" pieces and use the car mounted hooks.
I wonder if Lowe's has anything that small......
Feel like a Mogul.

mabloodhound

I get all my chain from Model Expo http://modelexpo-online.com/Modeling-Chain.
Their smallest is 42 links per inch which would be about 10 links per foot in 1/4 scale.
The 34 LPI you found would be 8.5 links per foot and probably a better choice, although more expensive.

Dave Mason
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Terry Toenges

Thank Dave. I like the black chain they have by Mantua but it's apples and oranges comparing the measurements between the two types.. Mantua's doesn't show LPI but mm diameter. They don't show the diameter of the copper chain.
I wonder if the 1mm would be too small?
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

From Model Expo - Two 12" pieces of cooper chain @ $3.99 = $7.98 + $8.99 shipping = $16.97.
Maybe I should look around close and see what kind of cheap necklaces I could find that would look ok.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I ordered a 20" long thin chain necklace with a small pendant off EBay for $2.46 with free shipping.
I'll guess I'll see when it gets here if it will work.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I did hear back from PSC. They said they odn't know.
Feel like a Mogul.