Question on BACHMANN SPECTRUM HO 2-10-2 DCC TRAIN LOCOMOTIVE BLACK 83301

Started by 2bdesign, December 11, 2007, 11:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2bdesign

I am considering buying this locomotive for my husband for Christmas. His layout has 24" curves. Can anyone tell me if locomotive #83301 handle them?  ???

GN.2-6-8-0

A wife buying trains for the hubby.....what a gal!
unfortunely a 2-10-2 while it may run on 24'' curves its not really gonna be happy , those curves are a bit tight for such a long wheelbase...you might wish to  find him a 2-8-0...2-8-2 instead.....
Rocky Lives

SteamGene

Another possibility would be a USRA heavy 4-8-2.  If you must have a 2-10-2, I'd recommend the IHC 2-10-2 for 24" curves. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

2bdesign

Thanks for the info. Can you suggest a particular 2-8-0 or 2-8-2 train that is a similar style/time period and which is DCC equipped? Is the IHC 2-10-2 DCC equipped? I don't know anything much about this...my husband hinted at the 83301 because the style fit his 1930s Pittsburgh, PA layout. But if it's not going to work on the 24" curves, I'm open to suggestions.

ebtnut

I am reasonably sure that the Bachmann 2-10-2 will even go around the EZ Track 18" curves, so handling 24" should be no problem.  The Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 now comes with DCC/Sound, and would be a good companion to the 2-10-2. 

japasha

2bdesign:

Buy him the locomotive he asked for. He will love you for it. The only downside will be when he tells you he needs a larger layout so he can have 34 inch radius curves.

The 2-10-2 is a fine runnung locomotive. The fellows are telling you so, the other locomotives are fine but those can wait until a birthday. My wife can tell you the same thing. She took up building scenery and small buildings and I love it. I do have to let her run the trains, however.

Jim (I can't decide which scale this week) Pasha

grumpy

My Bachman 2-10-2 with DCC runs very well on EZ track 18" curves and looks very good doing so.
Don

r.cprmier

My Bachman 2-10-2 with DCC runs very well on EZ track 18" curves and looks very good doing so.

With what are you looking at it?

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

brad

My Bachmann 2-10-2 runs beautifully around my layout and I have 2,  24 inch curves, no problems. If you get him this loco tell him to listen to it closely when he first runs it for a clicking sound which may indicate a cracked gear.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

johnnyutah

In regards to the clicking noise, can you give me more info as my 2-10-2 is doing the same. Is it a problem with this model do you know? How can I fix it and what part do you think it is?