What's the best for my grandson to get started.

Started by frank nordyke, May 12, 2018, 07:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank nordyke

My grand son wants a Bachmann HO train set for his birthday.  He's just getting started, and cost is an issue
for us old retired people.  What do you suggest?
Thanks
Frank

Nathan

How old is he and how well does he handle his toys?

Nathan

Terry Toenges

You probably want to start him out with a basic set to see if he will stay interested in it or if it will be played with for a few weeks or months and then get stuck in a closet.
If he is pretty young, a diesel set would be better because they are easier to put on the track and don't have as many small parts to break off. Most of the steamers have the extra front and/or rear sets of wheels that can be harder put on the track for a real young kid.  One without front and rear wheels like an 0-6-0 would be ok.
Bachmann's E-Z Track is good because it locks together and can used on a flat surface or on carpet. The gray roadbed track is better because it is nickel silver and doesn't require as much cleaning. The black roadbed track is steel and usually needs to be cleaned more often. They both work. There is a bigger variety of track pieces in the gray roadbed track.
You have to decide whether you want DC or DCC. DC is cheaper but more and more people are switching to DCC.
Maybe even the "Thomas" train stuff if he is that young.
Bachmann's Santa Fe Flyer seems to be about the cheapest set out there. $79.99 at Walmart. Start out with a cheap one and see if he likes it. The good thing about model railroading is that you can expand as much as you can afford.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SANTA-FE-HO-SCALE-ELECTRIC-TRAIN-SET/12169393?athcpid=12169393&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS002&athguid=466001f5-187dd590-2ae7012860eb0ce6&athena=true
Feel like a Mogul.

Joe323

I agree with Terry and would add that among diesels the F series is a good choice for a beginner because it has even less detail to break off.

bbmiroku

Fine details aside, HO is still part-for-part probably the cheapest train stuff out there, the most plentiful, and the easiest to pick up cheap secondhand.