News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 2-8-0 Consolidation

Started by TZX200, December 11, 2007, 12:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TZX200

Hello,
I just got a new Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation HO Scale #83605 and was directed to this forum to get, hopefully an answer to a couple of questions I have from the Bach Man.
So here goes.
There isn't any kind of owners manual that came with it other than the standard DCC programming instructions and I was wondering is there any recommended method of a "breaking in" period for these?
And this last question may seem a bit silly.
In the box along with a set of dummy plugs was a small sealed plastic packet of what looks like ground up charcoal, which naturally is black in color, and I was wondering what this was. I don't believe it is some kind of moisture absorbant since it is sealed in plastic. Any ideas what it is? Or even if it is supposed to be in the box.
I'm new to the hobby as you can probably tell and appreciate any help I can get.
Thank you

ebtnut

Somewhere in the box (did it come sealed in clear cellophane?) should be an instruction sheet showing all of the parts and how they go together.  If you didn't get one, contact Bachmann to have them send you one.  The black material is used to represent scale coal in the tender.  The plastic casting does not provide a really good representation of actual coal.  If you wish to use it (and it isn't necessary if you don't mind the tender as is), apply some white glue to the top of the cast-in coal, sprinkle the material from the bag liberally over the glue, press down a bit with your finger to make sure the coal load sticks well, and let dry. 

taz-of-boyds

That's nice.  Kind-of like a bonus tank of gas in a new car...   ;D   :D 
Charles

TZX200

ebtnut,
Thanks for the reply. It makes perfect sense, that's exactly what it looks like.
The train did come sealed in plastic, and came with a parts list/schematic and warranty info in a couple of languages, but nothing to indicate what the coal packet was for or any type of recommended break in period, or if any was required
Thanks again!

ebtnut

My general experience with Bachmann locos is that they come with some light lube already applied, so you can run them for a while before worrying about lube.  Modern loco models don't seem to need a "break-in".  They area either good runners from the get-go, or not.  It won't hurt to run them at moderate speed for maybe 10 minutes in each direction, mostly to see if anything comes loose or makes a funny noise or the like.  When you do lube, use good modeler's oils and greases.  Bachmann has their own, but others like Labelle are equally good.  Just make sure that they are plastic-compatible so they don't mar the model or its finish.  And, you only need a SMALL drop at each bearing point.

SteamGene

Company literature is the bag is cinders.  I'll have to say that if they represent cinders, they should still be scrapping me off the ties somewhere east of Christianburg, VA.  Using them to enhance the coal load, or to represent missed coal on the tender dek are both good uses of them. 
Vary your speed as you "break in."  Don't put the pedal to the metal and don't try to see how many cars it will pull up your 4% grade while you break it in.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

TZX200

Thanks to all for your replies and advice. I can see that this forum is a great place to obtain the knowledge and advice needed to make the train hobby experience more enjoyable.
Again thanks -
TZX200

hobo

I purchased a Bachmann spectrum loco about a month ago and as best I can remember there is a line on the exploded diagram that basically states:

To prolong the life of the model varying the speed and direction and never run at top speed.

This not meant to be a direct quote, but by following the above you should get a long service life from your loco.