News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound decoder and speakers

Started by Razmataz, May 15, 2018, 07:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razmataz

I am grateful for this forum! I don't know where I would find answers at if not. I just bought my first train set with DCC locomotives. EMD GP40 and EMD FT-A locomotives. (by the way I have no idea what those numbers mean) I would love to know how and what sound systems are compatible with these. Also maybe what number or style of couplers they use. I know they are knuckle couplers but I've seen several makes like kadee but there are different types also

ACY

Quote from: Razmataz on May 15, 2018, 07:45:01 PM
I am grateful for this forum! I don't know where I would find answers at if not. I just bought my first train set with DCC locomotives. EMD GP40 and EMD FT-A locomotives. (by the way I have no idea what those numbers mean) I would love to know how and what sound systems are compatible with these. Also maybe what number or style of couplers they use. I know they are knuckle couplers but I've seen several makes like kadee but there are different types also
The Bachmann Digital Commander Train set includes two Sanata Fe diesel locomotives the GP-40 and FT-A which are both equipped with Digital Command Control decoders however neither have sound functionality. Adding sound would cost about $150 per locomotive depending on what sound decoder and speaker you utilize and other factors. But as is they have no sound and would not have any sound regardless of what DCC system/controller you utilized. Coupler numbers only reference Kadee brand, couplers are often described using other terms for all other manufacturers. The locomotives have Bachmann EZ-Mate Mark II center-set medium-shank couplers and any HO operating center-set standard-shank knuckle coupler would work fine (this includes Kadee #5 and #148 as well as other competitors to Bachmann EZ-Mate Mark I & II). Generally most locomotives and cars from most manufacturers use center-set medium/standard-shank couplers. The couplers are included with the locomotives if you are somewhere other than USA or Canada (i.e. England, Australia, Germany, France et al) then you made need to convert them to use with other locomotives and rolling stock

Len

The 'F' in 'FT' stood for 1,400 horsepower, rounded up from the actual 1,350hp rating. The 'T' was for 'Twin', as initially EMD sold them as either A-A or A-B pairs. Often, but not always, linked by solid drawbars. EMD used 'GP' to identify their 4-axle 'General Purpose' locomotive. The '40' is essentially a model number for a specific mix of prime mover, cab style, control system, etc. It does not directly relate the the units horsepower rating.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Razmataz

Trainman203

I always thought that FT stood for Freight Train, trains for which FT units were the first specifically designed road power.

If going DCC Sound, it is so much easier to buy power already equipped rather than try to upgrade older units.  Installing decoders and speakers in models not designed for them presents challenges to even experienced modelers.

Oh .... the FT and GP 40 are from eras separated by at least 30 years.  It's doubtful if any ever ran together or even existed together at the same time.  Now I'm wondering when the last FT units ran, most were scrapped or traded in during the early 60's.  Someone who knows diesels better, please elaborate.

Len

An alternative for 'FT' is 'Freight, Twenty-seven hundred horsepower', which uses the combined horsepower of a drawbar linked AB set. Both explanations of 'FT' came out of EMD, so take your pick. Production ended in 1945, but they were still around on smaller roads and branchlines long after that.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.