First time train buyer NEEDS HELP!

Started by flyfarfaraway, December 11, 2007, 01:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyfarfaraway

I am buying the classic "round the Christmas tree" train for my husband and am COMPLETELY clueless (thankfully, he is too!)

We both want something simple but something we can add to every year.  It would also be VERY nice to have something from a B&O line since we met in Baltimore, MD. 

We live in Annapolis, MD and if anyone could recommend any train sets or store to go to I would very much appreciate it!!!

hobo

The are a couple of train stores/hobby shops in your area. 

J B's Train Depot  is at 34 West street in Annapolis.

M. B. Klein in Baltimore.  They have a web site www.modeltrainstuff.com

You can also check the SAM's club.  Every year they feature a Large Scale Christmas train set that is produced by Bachmann.  These look great under a tree and are inexpensive.  http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=373516 Currently the Sam's Club site lists these as available online only, but some of the Sam's stores have them in stock.

If you have your heart set on the B&O, then you will be narrowing down your choice of scale (size) and availability. 

Good luck with your search.

Atlantic Central

A very good store with great prices that carries lots of Bachmann is Star Hobby, 1564 Whitehall Rd, Annapolis, MD - located in the shopping center with the antiques market along Rt 50.

Sheldon

GlennW

For round the Christmas tree on the floor, I'd go with one of the larger scales. Got a green "fleece cover" to serve as the ground. Bachmann makes some nice sets. You could also check out a Hobby Lobby. Go to their website & print a 40% off coupon (good for one item). They can have a good selection of trainsets. After Christmas, they will have 50% closeout sales.

amdaylight

You did not mention it but if you have some of the Department 56 Villages or some one else's you might think about the Bachmann On30 Line. These fit very well with the various Christmas Villages. It may take some looking around for but Bachmann did make a B&O On30 passenger set a few years back.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas

Andre Anderson :)

Loco Bill Canelos

There is a beautiful G Scale set called The Royal Blue.  It is out of production but was made in large numbers and always available on Ebay.  It is not rare and sells from between $80 and $160.  I would buy only those listed as Mint in Box or new in box.  Buy Items graded no less than C-8 

http://toys.search.ebay.com/Royal-Blue_Bachmann_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfgtpZQQfposZ63381QQfromZR2QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQlopgZQQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ19152QQsadisZ200QQsaobfmtsZinsifQQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

Click on the above to see some of the royal blue items available on EBay.

Happy rememberances
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!