News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scarm

Started by graywolf, May 19, 2018, 04:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graywolf

Has anyone used Scarm to design their layout and is there a tutorial available?

Hunt

Click Here for links to SCARM Video Tutorials and other info.

Take a look at AnyRail  Click Here

jward

I have used scarm and found anyrail meets my needs much better. One of the flaws in scarm is the inability to place switches on a grade. which throws off the gradient calculations if you are planning a mountain railroad. anyrail doesn't have that flaw
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

graywolf

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the tutorials from Rudd Boer and they seemed simple although he was using Marklin track and that was somewhat alien to me. If you use Atlas or Peko track does the program give you a materials list when you finish the design? Downloaded the free Anyrail program and that seemed more confusing since it didn't offer any trackage that I was familiar with. So I uninstalled it. Also I didn't see any tutorial offered for Anyrail.

Hunt

What brand and gauge track are you using or  interested in as it is likely you missed it?

You did missed the Tutorials.

graywolf

I have a 4x8 that I used EZ Track but since it is now complete I am hoping to build a larger layout in my basement once I clean it out. I hope to use regular track with cork roadbed. I am looking at Atlas, Peco or whoever makes a good selection of code 83 track. Right now I am trying to figure out a layout to fit an 8x11 area that I have available in the basement. I was hoping that the trackage programs would be easy enough to use but I am somewhat digitally challenged. I hope to come up with an L shaped layout with some level changes. Any ideas???

jward

ON anyrail, the tutorial is under the help button. There is also a tutorial on their web site.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hunt

Ref: Scarm
No more comments

Ref: AnyRail
You have not used available information on AnyRail website. Lots there.

Look through the online manual to get an idea of what can be done.
  Help >> Online manual 

Download and Open the program,  click on the TRACK LIBRARIES link, which is organized by gauge, manufacture, track brand and code.

For HO (you did not state) -- Under TRACK LIBRARIES , HO  - can be found multiple Atlas (3) and Peco (8) track libraries to choose from.

Example: HO Atlas Code 83 track library includes all their sectional pieces and flex track.

Since this is Bachmann Trains above is all I will provide about this subject.

Hunt

contains unintented SMF program parse:
For HO (you did not state) -- Under TRACK LIBRARIES , HO  - can be found multiple Atlas (3) and Peco (8) track libraries to choose from.

Overriding program parse:
For HO (you did not state) -- Under TRACK LIBRARIES , HO  - can be found multiple Atlas (3) and Peco ( 8 ) track libraries to choose from.

graywolf

Thanks Hunt the manual was very interesting and I think I will give Anyrail a try tomorrow.

Terry Toenges

I like Anyrail. That's the only one I use. I tried SCARM and went with Anyrail but I don't remember why.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

I tried several track design programs but every time reverted back to Anyrail.
The measurements are correct and I even persuaded them to make realistic ties and not the on size fits all ties they used to have.
You can even print your plan 1:1 and use it as a template.
I recommend it.
Btw , They also support Bachmann Easy track.

Ton

dutchbuilder

A top tip for using the free version of Anyrail.
When using the free program you will only have 50 pieces availlable.
Use flex track and switch of the "to long track" option.
You'll be surprised what you can do with 50 pieces  ;D.

Ton