News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 OR&W

Started by IvanG, May 29, 2018, 04:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanG

I have a Bachmann Ohio River & Western Passenger Train Set on30.  The steam engine is a 2-6-0.  The train set is not sold anymore and cannot be set up for DCC and sound.  Do you sell an engine of this sort that is DCC and has sound and possibly smoke?

Hunt

Click Here   Note the three listed as DCC.

Search Internet for retailers with discount pricing for locomotive and add-on Sound Module required for sound.

grsman

Quote from: IvanG on May 29, 2018, 04:37:55 PM
I have a Bachmann Ohio River & Western Passenger Train Set on30.  The steam engine is a 2-6-0.  The train set is not sold anymore and cannot be set up for DCC and sound.  Do you sell an engine of this sort that is DCC and has sound and possibly smoke?

Why do you say that it cannot be set up for DCC and sound?
You should be able to do it, bu8t it will take more work if it is not DCC ready.
Tom

IvanG

I contacted Bman and they said it was not DCC ready and add-on Sound Module was not adaptable to it.  I found a Sound Module for a 2-6-0 on line for a good price, but cannot use it.   Apparently, they do not have plans for a 2-6-0 Ohio River & Western Steam engine the is DCC with sound.

Kevin Strong

The non-DCC version of the mogul is easy to convert to DCC. The hardest part is milling out the metal around the motor to give you room to run the wires to the tender for the decoder. Here's a link to a site which will get you going in the right direction.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/mogul_dcc/

I did mine for sound, using a Tsunami2 installed in the tender. There's plenty of room for the decoder and a good speaker. (And battery for deadrail operation, but that's a different can of worms.)

Later,

K

IvanG

That sounds good but scary.  I do not know if I want to run the possibility of destroying my engine, seeing that I have never done anything like that.  With lack of experience, it scares me.  I will keep that in mind, incase I get brave.  Thanks for your input, it seems doable.

p51

Quote from: Kevin Strong on May 30, 2018, 12:20:19 AM
The non-DCC version of the mogul is easy to convert to DCC.
Now easy for everyone. I always roll my eyes at how something in the hobby seems 'easy' for some, and they in turn assume it's just as easy for everyone else.
Nope, it ain't easy if you've never done it and am not familiar with it.
-Lee

hminky

Quote from: p51 on June 11, 2018, 03:17:52 PM
Quote from: Kevin Strong on May 30, 2018, 12:20:19 AM
The non-DCC version of the mogul is easy to convert to DCC.
Now easy for everyone. I always roll my eyes at how something in the hobby seems 'easy' for some, and they in turn assume it's just as easy for everyone else.
Nope, it ain't easy if you've never done it and am not familiar with it.
It ain't easy, would probably do it differently again using a smaller decoder in the loco.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/mogul_tsunami/

But the big speakers do sound great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_78JD4OsBvU

Harold

dutchbuilder

It's not for everyone but last weekend I took a Hawthorn village 2-6-0 apart and milled a piece of the firebox weight to accommodate a small decoder.
I'm fortunate to have a lath/milling machine.
What we say in Holland, good tools is half the work.

Ton

charon

Ton;
Like the old saying goes, "If you aint Dutch, you aint much"
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

hminky

Quote from: dutchbuilder on June 12, 2018, 03:44:16 AM
It's not for everyone but last weekend I took a Hawthorn village 2-6-0 apart and milled a piece of the firebox weight to accommodate a small decoder.
I'm fortunate to have a lath/milling machine.
What we say in Holland, good tools is half the work.
Hacksaw and file in 1999:

"In a galaxy far, far away and a long, long time ago"

Harold

dutchbuilder

And exactly the same result ;D

Ton