News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC installing decoders

Started by kingraptor, December 12, 2007, 08:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingraptor

hey

i want to buy the EZ-command dcc but need help. what decoders would i need for a bachmann gp-38-2,atheran gp-40, bachmann gp-40 and atlas u38b and life-like f7-a. i need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kyle

Jim Banner

There are many decoders by many manufacturers that will physically fit and can handle the current.  My personal favorite is the Digitrax DZ123 which can handle 1 amp normal running or up to 1.5 amps stall.  Most modern locomotives are within these limits, but of course you will want to do a stall current tests on your own locomotives as these currents can vary from one unit to the next.  You will not be able to program all the features with your E-Z Command, but perhaps you have a friend who can help.  But even if you do not program all the features, this decoder will still perform admirably as a simple decoder.  Their small size allows them to be installed even in locomotives that would otherwise require reworking the frame.  And the newest version, the DZ125, is compatible with Digitrax "Sound Bug" which is a tiny sound decoder.  The Z in their part number indicates Z-scale but they are commonly used in N and H0 as well. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.