Bachmann 1:20.3 Climax Keeps Shutting Down

Started by Plow_Bender, June 02, 2018, 06:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plow_Bender

Good morning,
I recently took another leap and this time purchased the Bachmann 1:20.3 Climax w/ DCC sound, but I've had some issues with the model since I got it.  The first issue I noticed was that when I ran the model for the first time, only one of the trucks on the model would run, which wouldn't allow the model to move.  I just simply tapped the truck on the side frame with my fingers and the model ran afterwards.  However, I've been running the model outside on my garden railroad the last week or so, and the model seems to present more problems.

Occasionally I've started up the model and it does begin to move and the sounds come on, but the model will suddenly stop and then the sounds will start again and the model will start to move again.  I've also had the model running up to an appropriate speed and it will suddenly stop and then start again, or sometimes just stop completely.  Last night I was running the model and it stopped on me twice, and I found that the model was still powering, but the sounds weren't going and only one of the trucks was powering.  Overall the model tends to run find and the issues I've mentioned don't happen all the time, but I'm curious if this is something to be concerned of considering the model is basically brand new.

Something else I should also mention is that I currently run the model on DC power and not DCC.  I have also taken the time to make sure the tracks are clean and have also made sure I have appropriate voltage to run the model.  If someone can shed some light on the issues I'm having and offer suggestions, it would really be appreciated.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

StanAmes

Two things which you might check out.

There are 4 plungers that carry power and motor from each truck.  I might suggest cleaning these and putting on some conducta lube on these contacts.

The second is to clean both the wheels and the space behind the wheels which make contact with the pickups.  We have found on our railroad that the sound boards in these locomotives are a little more sensitive to clean wheels the some of the other locomotives we have.

Hope that helps

Stan