News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Question

Started by KevinH, June 05, 2018, 08:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinH

I just installed six new DCC EZ Track Turnouts. The switches are working perfect, but I am having problems with a section of track. One of the new DCC EZ Track Turnouts is connected to a dead end spur. Once the train passes over the turnout and enters the dead end spur the locomotive quits. There must be no power to that dead end spur. I used to use manual turnouts and they worked fine and had no problem with the dead end spur. Does anyone have any solutions to my problem. Do I need to use one of the Bachmann Power terminals with an insulated gap?

Trainman203

Maybe a bad rail joiner?  Try sticking a screwdriver in each track joint while an engine is sitting on the dead track and see if it starts up.

rogertra

The issue with all set track, is a plethora of rail joiners.

For reliable DCC operation, each section of track requires feeders.  However, try adding a pair of feeders to your spur.

Feeders to every section of set track is an unrealistic task as you'd need a pair of feeders for each section of track.  The next solution is to solder you individual section together.  But that ruins the idea of set track.  I use flex track but even then I add feeders to  to each section of flex track.  What I do, on tracks longer than three feet, a length of flex track, is solder two pieces together and send a feed to that now longer section of track.  So I have sections as long as six feet and as short a two or three inches long.  The only track I do not solder is switches.   Hpwever, if I do have contract issues with a switch, I solder feeders to the switch.

Cheers.

Roger T.