Has anyone installed the Bachmann dcc/sound board in the original version climax

Started by srr4501, June 06, 2018, 11:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srr4501

Has anyone installed the Bachmann dcc/sound board which comes in the second gen model of the Climax in the original version of the 25T Climax? I have one and am thinking about doing so but am interested to know if anyone else has done this and  the results. I see from the parts catalog that a cooling fan and extended coal bunker are actually part of this installation which hasn't been used or recommended in any of the aftermarket single or combination boards on any of the Bachmann models. I assume this is to keep the board cool. I don't have a wiring diagram from either the original or the recent offering to see how the board is wired or where the fan leads would be wired in. It appears to be a more complicated install that the board in the 3 truck shay as all of the connections are solder connections.

I assume the trucks in the second gen model are die-cast like those in the shay as well. If so, can the original trucks be updated to the second gen trucks?

Thanks in advance,
SRR4501

StanAmes

Yes I have installed both a DCC decoder and sound board in the 1st gen climax.  Unfortunately I have long ago misplaced any diagrams I had for this locomotive.

I would recommend any DCC board with screw terminals but would not recommend installing a plug and play sound board such as the one that comes with the 2nd gen climax.  The reason is that 1) you will need to find a socket for the plug and play board (the socket is not in the 1st gen climax) and 2) the lighting in the 2nd gen climax is designed for this purpose while the lighting in the 1st gen is not.

I might suggest you you look over Geroge's excellent pages on the 1st gen Climax as he has some excellent tips.

http://www.trainweb.org/girr/tips/tips5/climax_tips.html

Stan