News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Is it modelling or playing?

Started by bbmiroku, June 09, 2018, 04:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Going to start a new conversation about the choo -choo image .

Len

It all depends on the mood I'm in at the time. Some days I'm in to timetable operations, other days I like to drag race a couple of old Athearn Hi-F drive "Hustlers" on the dual main with my grandson.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

That is true for me too.  Some evenings are full blown operation, other evenings I'm just so tired I run the engine back and forth just to watch it, and if I had a continuous loop I'd watch it go round and round.

Trainman203

Athearn Hi-F drives.  Youngsters take a guess at what that is.  No googling.

dutchbuilder

For me mostly modelling and sometimes playing with my layout.
It's a relaxing way of thinking what the next project will be......if everything runs smoothly.

Ton

plas man

roundhouse fun , alternative tracks on the turntable with loco and without , drive on - table rotates to next track , drive off and continue - clever stuff remembering the DCC call up numbers , then increase the speed of the table  ;D

HWTMilr

Still have an Athearn RDC-1 and an RDC-3 with hi-f drive on display in the train room. They can "hustle" also.

Trainman203

What I love about that video is that on an obviously seriously designed large layout, here are these two guys reverting!!!!!😱😱😂😂😂. 

glennhazel

People see trains as a toy, and children play with trains. Sadly they do not see the "behind the scenes". I have told critics, "My models are made from matchsticks, plastic containers, wire, etc.

When a nit-picker or, rivet counter points out a flaw, I ask if they are an authority on the Pepacton, Ouleout, and Otsego (my roadname). That usually shuts them up.

When I am criticized for 'playing with trains', I reply its better than video gamers staring at the boob tube or binge watching TV movies/shows.

Glenn

Maletrain

QuoteWhen I am criticized for 'playing with trains', I reply its better than video gamers staring at the boob tube or binge watching TV movies/shows.

Right you are.  The evolutionary purpose of "play" is to achieve learning experiences that have practical applications in real life.

Model railroading provides a rich environment for learning all sorts of useful lessons, from history, through small parts construction techniques, carpentry and electrical system construction, right into futuristic processes like computer programming and robotic control.  We each get to chose what parts we want to play with.

Trainman203

Military modeling, ship modeling, airplane and car modeling, none of them are considered to be playing with toys.  They get respect as legitimate adult pastimes , why not model railroading ( as opposed to train sets ).

Terry Toenges

I wish you would have been around to convince my parents that me building model cars should get their respect as it was a legitimate pastime. ;D They seemed to think I was just playing with model car stuff.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Quote from: Maletrain on June 26, 2018, 10:24:19 AM
QuoteWhen I am criticized for 'playing with trains', I reply its better than video gamers staring at the boob tube or binge watching TV movies/shows.

Right you are.  The evolutionary purpose of "play" is to achieve learning experiences that have practical applications in real life.

Model railroading provides a rich environment for learning all sorts of useful lessons, from history, through small parts construction techniques, carpentry and electrical system construction, right into futuristic processes like computer programming and robotic control.  We each get to chose what parts we want to play with.

Totally agree.
But most people don't understand what the hobby is all about.
And then you get stupid ignorant remarks.
Makes my blood boil sometimes.

Ton

glennhazel

I agree with Terry. Even thought a farmer, not a sports fan, but did play sports in school, my father respected my interested. My interest probably came from the house being about 75 yards from the Erie's mainline.

A friend was not so lucky. Aside from the around the tree set, he never received another RR item. He did get sports-balls, golf clubs, even a hunting rifle.

Glenn