News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Value 2-6-0

Started by rogertra, June 19, 2018, 03:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Managed to get one of my two running after the decodered let the smoke out.

Simply swapped tender chassis from the one where the valve gear fell apart.  That one is on its way back to Bachmann.

I'm impressed with the 2-6-0.  While not as detailed as a Spectrum model it looks good and has great pulling power.  Mine regularly pulls 10 - 13 cars plus Van (Caboose) on the branch (To staging) freight with no issues.  Could probably pull more but waybill for the branch max out at around 13.  The sound system is good enough for me as I run with my sound levels quite low, just audible from four or so feet away, except for whistle and bell.  I don't both with the gimmicks, Fireman Fred, water tank filling, coupler clash etc., so inexpensive decoders, like the ones in Bachmann engines, work fine for me.

As many people know, given the numerous posts here about issue with the 2-10-0, it has problems.  My three 2-10-0s come no where near close both in smooth operation and in pulling power which is sad, as they were purchased for use on the branch freight while the 2-6-0s were purchased for use on the two to three car branch passenger.

Cheers.

VTBob

Mine are the exact opposite:

2-6-0 runs jerky (slow speed) with the DCC on board (no sound), so it's regulated to the fast(ish) freights, where as my 2-10-0 runs like a swiss watch & does my switching & slow speeds. I put a T1 decoder(from tony's trains) in the 2-10-0, because it was a first run standard DC Spectrum model.

My 4-4-0 (DCC on board no sound) managed to smoke out the decoder after about 15 minutes out of the box, but I took the decoder out & turned it into Standard DC instead. Runs much better.

VTBob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

Trainman203

For people who've not spent time around and on steam engines, Sound Value is fine.  If you like all your engines to have sound turned on all the time, sound value is fine.

I have a different opinion.

I like to run an entire locomotive that turns the sound off after an interval you preset with cv 113, not present on Sound Value.  I like cylinder cocks, Johnson Bar, coupler crash, dynamo, blowdown, brake squeal and air brake release, realistic reverb on the sounds and an EQ that you can kill distortion with...... all sounds and functions that are really there on the prototype, and aren't on Sound Value.  Sound Value steam "does " have headlight dimming though, a useless diesel era affectation that throws away a function that could have been used for a real steam age sound.

I myself really like whistle choices besides the 2 that Bachmann gives you (for the third one, Bachmann puts the B&O 3 chime on EVERY one of their decoders, and it just does not sound like a train to my non-Eastern ear, I don't like it and never use it ).

I'm willing to pay to get a real meal instead of a few empty calories. I'm

Trainman203

Zytx, some fiddling with cv 3 and 4 will smooth out your mogul.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 20, 2018, 11:37:10 AM
For people who've not spent time around and on steam engines, Sound Value is fine.  If you like all your engines to have sound turned on all the time, sound value is fine.

I have a different opinion.

I have spend hours, firing and driving steam.  Both in the UK and a little in Canada.

For me, it's the operational aspect of model railroading I really like.  Era specific rolling stock, even road vehicles and the way building's were painted is my goal.  

As for running the railroad, that's where my main interest lays.   Operation on the GER requires you to understand the train procedures book if you are a yard master, and the rule book and timetable as it applies to the section of the GER that is operated and where it's connections are if you are an engineer/conductor.

All freight is handled by car cards and waybills, no freelancing what car goes on what train or to what industry.

Sound FX are just background sounds the enhance the realism to the operation.  Yes, the bell and whistle/horns are important, as is the headlight.  Speaking of the headlight.  Are you sure you cannot dim a steam headlight.  It's been 41 years since I last ran steam but I'm sure the headlight switch and the separate tender light switch each had three positions.  "Off", "Dim" and "Full".  Big three position switches to the right of the engineer and just above head height up near the cab roof.  

It should also be possible to have both head and tender/rear headlight on at "Dim" both at the same time, as thats how yard switchers operate.  Both headlights on dim.  Dim not full as they are dazzling if you are working on the ground at night  Of course, when switching and going over a grade crossing, the lead headlight, unless you are shoving as then the reflection of the headlight off the car in front is also dazzling, goes to Full and bell is rung.  Whether you need to blow a 14L is covered in the Timetable appendix.  On my GER, when switching within Farnham Yard Limits no 14L is required.  

All adds to the fun of operation.

Cheers.

Trainman203

Yes Roger I also like prototypical operation of prototypical equipment.  I just like all the sounds there.  Unlike you though I like them LOUD 😱💥💥☄️😂. 

The steam engines I've been in, seems like most of them did have ability to dim the headlight.  But I believe those dimming switches are a later modern era affectation.  Look at steam era photos.  None of the daytime photos show headlights on until almost the very end of steam.  Diesels started the daytime headlight thing because they were operationally very quiet compared to steam engines, people didn't hear them coming.

Reminds me of my old and very loud boss.  I used to tell people he was like an old steam engine.....  you could hear him coming a long way off. 😂😂

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 21, 2018, 07:52:55 AM
Yes Roger I also like prototypical operation of prototypical equipment.  I just like all the sounds there.  Unlike you though I like them LOUD 😱💥💥☄️😂. 

The steam engines I've been in, seems like most of them did have ability to dim the headlight.  But I believe those dimming switches are a later modern era affectation.  Look at steam era photos.  None of the daytime photos show headlights on until almost the very end of steam.  Diesels started the daytime headlight thing because they were operationally very quiet compared to steam engines, people didn't hear them coming.

Many modelers make the mistake of running their steam engines, in the steam era, with the headlight 'On' when in fact that's a diesels era innovation to make the diesels more visible.  However, my steam era rule book states that in daylight, the loco headlight must be turned on when going through tunnels.   At nights, the headlight must be dimmed when meeting another train or passing another train on double track and when passing through stations.  The steam I operated had the dimmable switches as standard equipment as did every Canadian Railway Museum steam loco in the museum and at the museum in Ottawa.   They were standard equipment as soon electric headlights came into being.

Cheers.

Trainman203

Well then, you need a headlight dimming function!

My railroad is a 20 mile shortline run.  Our rules are a lot "looser"!😂. Read "Extra South " by H. Reid.  You'll get the drift.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 21, 2018, 04:00:52 PM
Well then, you need a headlight dimming function!

My railroad is a 20 mile shortline run.  Our rules are a lot "looser"!😂. Read "Extra South " by H. Reid.  You'll get the drift.

Yes, we need headlight dimming for both steam and diesel.  Diesels for all day and steam for night time running.  :)

I'll see if I can track down a copy of "Extra South".  I've head of the book but never seen a copy.

Cheers.

Trainman203

"Mixed Train Daily" by Beebe and Clegg also.

These little railroads and little trains fit average model railroads very well but are very seldom modeled.  I think the reason is that they are now too far in the past for most people to have had first hand encounters with them.  I was lucky, we had TWO branchlines back home.  There were 4 trains in and out daily except Sunday on the T&NO and 6 on the MP.  Very busy, we were in a railfan's paradise and didn't know it.

The T&NO one is actually still there in truncated form as an independent short line.  The MP one was abandoned in 1982 but the by-then SP  bought the first 3 or 4 miles that served a still profitable sugar mill.  That track is now part of the short line across town.

Trainman203

Back on topic:  the 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 are excellent engines for such railroads.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 22, 2018, 11:54:54 AM
Back on topic:  the 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 are excellent engines for such railroads.

Yes, I like both.   What I'd like to do with the 4-6-0s is to modernise them.  Changing the steam dome and sandbox are easy as is modernizing the cab.  It's changing the slide valves to piston valves is the most difficult task.

Cheers.

Trainman203

Looks like you have to buy a chassis to get the modern cylinder block.  Unfortunately the removable part of the 4-6-0 dome is only the upper half. You have  to grind the bottom off, then install 4-4-0 domes which are removable in their entirety.  Fortunately the Bach Man has a goodly supply of boiler shells for both engines  to practice on and cannibalize for parts.  The 2-6-0 bell is a really funky part compared to other Bachmann engines. Save a good one off the other boiler shells. You can also get injectors and water feed lines to help out the 2-6-0.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 22, 2018, 10:53:53 PM
Looks like you have to buy a chassis to get the modern cylinder block.  Unfortunately the removable part of the 4-6-0 dome is only the upper half. You have  to grind the bottom off, then install 4-4-0 domes which are removable in their entirety.  Fortunately the Bach Man has a goodly supply of boiler shells for both engines  to practice on and cannibalize for parts.  The 2-6-0 bell is a really funky part compared to other Bachmann engines. Save a good one off the other boiler shells. You can also get injectors and water feed lines to help out the 2-6-0.

Thanks for the tips.