News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

F7 DCC A Unit - No Power

Started by in2tech, June 21, 2018, 08:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

in2tech

So it appears I have no power to one of my A Unit's. And I am not sure but it seem's like it happened going over a switch. Can it reset the programming number some how? I tried the default 3 and the previous number that had worked for over a year. Also tried just the light with that F10 combination thing I have done a million times and nothing. It's looking bad and makes me sad :(

Is there a way to test it with a battery some how? I thought I saw some one mention one time using a 9 V but could be very wrong.

Thanks for your help! And possibly darn the bad luck!

BTW, I hooked the DC Tech II unit back up after this happen ( didn't want to ruin my last F7 ), put them in the F7 DCC cases hoping they just needed a nap, and that when I get them back out and hook backup the Bachmann EZ Control System, everything will work again :) I think it is called Voodoo :)

in2tech

How can I test the motor with a meter or something for continuity, or do I have to un-solder it, and if so how do I test it at that point? Just want to know if it's the motor. If it the DCC board I'll just buy a new locomotive!

Thanks for your help!

spookshow

Sounds like the decoder is fried. If you want to test the motor, you could disconnect the orange and gray wires from the decoder board and apply current to them directly (using a 9v battery or whatever).

-Mark

infamouselijah

You said it happened over a switch? I assume it still wouldn't budge when it was off the switch?

plas man

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/locomotive-decoders/plug-and-play/nce-bach-dsl-decoder.aspx

just in case you have a problem with Bachmann supplying a new de-coder Digitrains list them in stock .
edit... try and reset the decoder (cv8 No8 ?) as it may have had a 'funny' turn  ???

Bipeflier

Quote from: spookshow on August 19, 2018, 10:29:08 AM
Sounds like the decoder is fried.

-Mark

Mark, new to DCC.  What would cause this "going over a switch"?
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

spookshow

Short circuits can be very dangerous for decoders, and switches are the most common place for shorts to occur (like if the wheels pick the wrong rail to follow).

-Mark

in2tech

Yeah and I was also trying to wire for DCC and almost sure I did it wrong thus the problem. Won't be doing that again without help. Cost me a perfectly good locomotive. And it only a 2' x 4' layout and runs fine for me on just the initial hookup. What was I thinking? Getting ready to buy some new ones on sale as it is cheaper than a decoder board only. Lesson learned I think :)