Speed adjustment on Eggliners

Started by Setter4, March 01, 2020, 11:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Setter4

Is there any way to adjust the speed on the Eggliners so I can run several on a single track.? They catch/push each other pretty quickly.

Thanks

rich1998

I did read recently that a few in another forum put a low resistance resistor in series with a motor lead. I think, guess around 10 ohms. They might have done some experimenting. Someone suggested a small piece of nichrome wire which is low resistance.
Do a current test with a multimeter to see how much the motors draw. Instructions ion the link below. I have used these meters for years.

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_Workshop/index.htm

Rich

Maletrain

Why try to calculate a fixed resistance value?  It doesn't seem at all straight forward to figure out the resistance that will slow one Eggliner down to the speed of anther Eggliner.  After all, they were built the same way, so, if everything was perfect, they would already be running a the same speed.

So, why not put a variable resistor in the motor lead, and tweek it until you get the speed you need.  (Of course, you have to put the resistor in the faster Eggliner, not the one that is slow to begin with.)

rich1998

There are small trim pots available but low current. I used them in electronics for many years. Low wattage. so be careful.
No idea the size of the loco and how much room  for a variable resistor.
Different types of variable resistors. Sizes.
Fixed resistors small. Variable larger.
Wild guess of 200 ma for motor current. Figure wattage of resistor. That is why some used a short piece of Nichrome wire. They understood electronics.
You can get many answers if you know how to Google.
Edit.
I just looked at the loco diagram. Good size. Probably more than 200ma. Guess. Might be room for a variable resistor. Too bad Radio Shack is gone. Nichrome wire used in toaster ovens can handle a lot.
Good luck.

Rich

Terry Toenges

Radio Shack is still here. I just ordered from them last month.
https://www.radioshack.com/
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

Not in my area of Western New England. I use to buy from them a lot when I was doing experimenting years ago. I could ride my bicycle up to two of them.

I hope the OP gets back to use. It would be nice to see what he does.

Rich

Terry Toenges

The physical store we had down here closed but I still use them online.
Feel like a Mogul.