News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Random steam pics thread

Started by WoundedBear, July 01, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

bbmiroku

Reply #17 isn't showing. when you go to modify it, take out the " width=1000 height=679" from the forward bracket so it just says [ img ] (but without the spaces).

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

pictures are pictures, but it would be more meaningful if you know what the picture is to add that information.  My guess is that the ten Milw. locomotives are on their last trip.  New locomotives they remove the main road, juck locomotive they just cut the piston rod.

Trainman203

The last one is a Mopac 1500 class Heavy MacArthur, possibly in St. Louis.  Yes that is an engine scrap train . It and a pull-up train taking up the rails behind it on an abandoned branch are a couple of the saddest sights in railroading.  Steam engine scrap trains were common into the early 60s although a steam engine is pulling this one.  It probably went to scrap too, it was certainly in the best condition of the lot.

The shop scene is a completely bygone world of bygone men working in bygone trades. It is likely Canadian, judging by the recessed Elesco feedwater heaters on the engines.  I remember years back an old MP shop hand telling me how they milled asbestos blocks into curves to fit around boilers for insulation, and that asbestos flakes would be swirling like a blizzard in the shop.  Can't imagine that today.