News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Random steam pics thread

Started by WoundedBear, July 01, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

In the wreck with 2843 and 2800 - Did they bring their own chairs to sit and watch or get them out of one of the cars?
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

I would assume the latter, but who the hell knows? ;D

Sid

Trainman203

HAWHAWHAW 😂😂😂😂😂😂. I didn't notice the chairs at first.  Maybe came out of the "chair car?" 😂😂🤪🤪😂😂

bbmiroku

Google wasn't too much help other than it was in Manitoba (Canadian Pacific).  Considering the background and the clothing, it looks like maybe an excursion train or something, maybe late summer or early fall.  If it was an excursion train, they probably did come out of the "chair car", as those larger wicker chairs can be quite heavy and one wouldn't generally take one with them traveling.

Trainman203

I'm pretty certain that 2843 and 2800 are Central Pacific engines, by the CP on the tenders.  If the pixels allowed, you'd see that the lettering on the cab would say Southern Pacific .  Central Pacific became southern Pacific right around 1900 and Central Pacific would have been a subsidiary, hence the sublettering on the tender.  This lettering scheme with big numbers on the tender was early SP and UP as well, both Harriman roads, and was used until maybe 1920 or so.

Knowing this, I'd locate this scene in CA or NV just before 1900 .

Trainman203

Those CP engines in the cornfield meet are both low drivered 4-8-0's, an unusual engine type in North America.  Also, low drivered engines like that didn't often protect passenger service, the mountain setting probably accounts for that.

The hillside behind looks like a recent fire happened, probably set by wood burning engines.

One of the two otherwise similar same-class engines has a diamond stack , the other has a straight one, suggesting that this incident was during a wood to coal engine fuel transition.  SP burned coal in its engines for a while before they went to oil.  This would help date  the picture pretty closely.

infamouselijah

Lol look at reply #551. How does that even happen xD

dutchbuilder

That's what an American 500 pounder does to a German War locomotive.
Looks like a type 50.

Ton

Trainman203

I thought that 551 was a bomb hit.

Ive seen fighter plane cam from an allied fighter zooming in on a German steam engine pulling a freight.  You can see steam blowing out of each bullet hit hole and as the  plane pulls up , on the bottom of the screen you can see the cloud of steam from the boiler explosion.

Terry Toenges

That guy standing there almost underneath them on 551 has no fear.
Feel like a Mogul.