News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Random steam pics thread

Started by WoundedBear, July 01, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

The Cass scene with the store looks like a shelf model railroad, like mine.  The other two scenes might be in winter, winter is steam at its steamy best.  I wonder how many folks here beside me remember working steam. I'm going to start a separate discussion of that.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

That engine looks like it is wearing an overcoat.  Maybe the skirting is actually to keep snow and ice out of the running gear ....... although how the engineer would oil around at every stop, don't know.

WoundedBear

Soft canvas skirting. Works like a belly tarp on a big rig. Meant to keep cold air out and the bottom of the boiler and firebox warm. Easy to lift out of the way for servicing.

Sid

Trainman203

Was this done on Canadian engines?  Very sensible.

Len

It's a scene from the "Dr. Zhivago" movie. The railway scenes were filmed in Finland, on the track laid during the 1940 Russian invasion, at the town of Joensuu, in eastern Finland, 100 miles from the real Russian border.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

A long time ago when I saw Dr Zhivago, I'm pretty certain there was as actual Russian Decapod in the movie, the same as the Bachmann model.  I remembered that 1000 were built for the czar, 800 got shipped before the revolution, and 200 caught here were distributed around by the USRA with the Erie getting nearly half for some reason.  The Erie didn't like them and sold them off to many shortlines who loved them.   There are more than a few surviving in Russia, Google.

Trainman203

Trainman203

The backlighted b/w aerial photo of a steam engine leaving a yard is almost otherworldly  .  Judging by the high headlight and the suburban cars under catenary to the left and the general industrial / urban setting makes me think PRR in maybe Pittsburgh .  Is there a caption or any info with that photo?  It's worthy of work by the legendary Ansel Adams .

WoundedBear

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 22, 2018, 08:25:14 PM
The backlighted b/w aerial photo of a steam engine leaving a yard is almost otherworldly  .  Judging by the high headlight and the suburban cars under catenary to the left and the general industrial / urban setting makes me think PRR in maybe Pittsburgh .  Is there a caption or any info with that photo?  It's worthy of work by the legendary Ansel Adams .

Google image search says it's the cover of this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Trains-Photography-Aubrey-Bodine/dp/0764354930

Sid