Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Random steam pics thread

Started by WoundedBear, July 01, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

CNR 4-8-2 Mountain type steam locomotive

WoundedBear

In 1942-43 Paducah built twenty additional new 4-8-2s in the 2600 class that were among the heaviest Mountain type locomotives

Terry Toenges

On that India one, are those upper wheels like a flywheel to keep momentum going? If not, what do they do?
Feel like a Mogul.

Ken Clark

Terry

The upper set of driven wheels are for the Rack drive on the engine, you can just
make out the the pinon wheels between the two sets of adhesion drivers.

Ken Clark
   GWN

Terry Toenges

I see that now. That's an interesting way to do it.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

The 6060 is truly a beautiful engine.

Len

Reader Railroad Baldwin USATC S160 2-8-0 #1702 as used in 1972's "Boxcar Bertha":

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Boy was that a chee-z movie.  I thought that Reader 108 was the engine used in it .  But it's been a very long time since I've seen it.

RAM

The Reader RR was a great train ride.  A mixed train That did its days work, as you rode along. 

Len

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 25, 2018, 02:59:26 PM
Boy was that a chee-z movie.  I thought that Reader 108 was the engine used in it .  But it's been a very long time since I've seen it.

Baldwin 2-6-2 #108 was also used in the movie.

Len

Trainman203

I rode the Reader in 1963.  A landmark experience.  Put me forever in the shortline mood for Model railroading.  Never did a mainline layout again.

My dad got to talking to a retired KCS guy on the train.  A couple of weeks after we got home, Railway  Express (remember them?) called to pick up something at the depot.  It was two metal oil drums.  Inside each was a carefully packed KCS kerosene caboose marker lamp. 

Len

REA is how we knew Christmas was getting close when I was a kid living near the New Haven 'Shore Line' route. Sometime in the week after Thanksgiving a train hauling 15 - 20 REA cars from New York to Providence and Boston would roll through. That's when we knew it was time to start making the list for Santa.

Len