Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

charon

Excellent WWII combat video.
Thanks, Trainman.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

bbmiroku

Terry, once it's up on its toes like that (so to speak), there's almost zero chance of it coming back down on its own unless it is sideways.  And once a lot of the water is gone, like in a boiler explosion (which I guarantee is what happened to the cab), it would be 'bottom' (front)-heavy, and even more stable.

Trainman203

551 could well be a boiler explosion, good explanation of the effects .  It also explains why the adjacent track is undamaged, whereas a bomb would have made a crater.  Good catch, sir.

Terry Toenges

You still wouldn't find me standing that close to it. Kind of like standing on the down side of a dam looking up at the crack in it.
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

I got the hilarious mental images from that one Terry.

man walking along bottom of dam
hey, why is my head wet?
looks up, sees crack
oh crap
sploosh

bbmiroku

Quote from: WoundedBear on November 07, 2018, 05:11:03 PM

If you look closely, the track in front of the man is curled upwards.  Bomb may have hit the track in front of the train.  Or maybe a bomb under the track.

What I said about the boiler explosion would've happened after the train got to its position, as the water sloshed forward and left the firebox completely dry and weakening the flue sheet and top sheet.

Terry Toenges

Would the dome lids just pop up like that on their own with a blast from underneath or is it possible that it was no longer in service and nothing in the boiler and the cab had already been removed?
It is strange that there is no crater and the track that the guy is standing on is still ok.
If it hit in front of it, how would the curled track happen?
Feel like a Mogul.

RAM

think it was a bomb because it is missing the side rode on the last driver

Terry Toenges

The side rod is hanging down from the second to last driver. Missing the bolt to secure it to the last driver. Maybe the bolt was scavenged to repair another loco which fits in with the "out of service". Cab was scavenged. No bells or whistles on top. It kind of looks like the headlight is laying on the deflector in front.
If it was a bomb and it was powerful enough to blow the cab off, wouldn't that much power have caused the tender and loco have come loose from one another?
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Can I ask where you found the pic Sid?
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

Look at the damage to the engines and things behind the popped-up engine.  There was, at the least, a fire.

Popped domes and busted siderod could both be caused by the rapid decompression known as a boiler explosion.  Dome lids through the water rapidly turning into steam (think of a bottle of soda) and the side rod from the ashpan blowout.

dutchbuilder

Those domes with lids are the sand boxes if i am not mistaken.
I used to have a 50 from Fleischmann al long long time ago wit doghouse tender.

Ton

WoundedBear

Quote from: Terry Toenges on December 01, 2018, 09:58:46 PM
Can I ask where you found the pic Sid?

No idea Terry. I had done a search on "WWI locomotives" and that was in the mix, even though it is clearly WWII.

Sid

This is why the thread is titled what it is ;) ;D